Out of date seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I work out the cost per seed before buying (66p). If only 4 germinate its £1 a plant. Sometimes its as cheap to buy seedling plants and let someone else take the strain.
    Sadly it's not so easy to buy little plants right now VC. I'm sowing a selection of my own greenhouse tomatoes, but thought I'd pick up a couple of Tumblers from the GC later for outside. Not possible now, and the seeds are like hen's teeth. I've managed to get a pack of three bush tomato plants from eBay, one of which is Tumbler. I've had plants from eBay growers before and they've been fine, so fingers crossed.

I'm hoping to have a big crop this year, so I can also share with neighbours.
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

If you are looking for tomato seeds babru I've some if I know what you are looking for . Not sure if still in date .
      Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
        Funnily enough I just found an old packet of seeds yesterday whilst sorting though my box of flower seeds. They're Pansy 'giant flowered mix' and the date to be sown by is......June 2007

I'm going to sow them and see what happens
        Let us know how you get on please. Very curious.

Kind Regards..........Rob

Comment

Really out of date seeds

I'm still looking at this sealed packet of seeds and thinking "should I?"
          They are not out of date cos there is no date, but if I open them it will be like throwing away the box from the old toy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lettuceseed.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	2386824
          Family motto "semper in excretum"

Comment

Originally posted by dammad49 View Post
            They are not out of date cos there is no date, but if I open them it will be like throwing away the box from the old toy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90880[/ATTACH]
            That’s beautiful!
            No I wouldn’t open that packet of seeds. I’d probably frame it or display it somehow

Comment

Wow, same here - I'd frame that packet of seeds and never, ever let anyone open it. How gorgeous. I think they should do seed packets like that now
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                Sadly it's not so easy to buy little plants right now VC. I'm sowing a selection of my own greenhouse tomatoes, but thought I'd pick up a couple of Tumblers from the GC later for outside. Not possible now, and the seeds are like hen's teeth. I've managed to get a pack of three bush tomato plants from eBay, one of which is Tumbler. I've had plants from eBay growers before and they've been fine, so fingers crossed.

I'm hoping to have a big crop this year, so I can also share with neighbours.
                You could maybe take some cuttings from the Tumbler Tom plant to increase your stock?
                All at once I hear your voice
                And time just slips away
                Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I've been out of the growing game for while now and I've found a lot of out of date seeds (sow before 2015 and earlier).

My approach is as they cost nothing just sow heavily and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by dammad49 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90880[/ATTACH]
                    That doesn't appear to be a variety that is commercially available now (unless under another name). So I would try and make a tiny cut in the packet, remove the seeds and try to resurrect the variety. If you avoided cross pollination, let some plants flower, and saved the seed, you could bring it back. I've come across a few online guides for getting very old seed to germinate. Worth considering anyway!

Comment

I discovered too late that I've run out of all sorts of seeds, and left with loads of old half packets of things. Pretty much every brassica I've sown is from an out of date packet, so I've just sown thickly and crossed my fingers! Knowing me, they'll all germinate and I'll have 3000 kale seedlings that I can't bear to cull ��

Comment

Imagine pre-decimalisation seeds coming true, over 50 years old, more believable than the Egyptian tomato seeds found in a tomb.
                        I'd try some just because....
                        Keep us posted.
                        Rob

Comment

I had a few years of reduced veggie growing (thanks to children arriving) so last year I had a clear out of all out of date seeds. They were all sown, a fair few germinated and between those and random bits off the donations table at the plot, we had plenty to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                            If you are looking for tomato seeds babru I've some if I know what you are looking for . Not sure if still in date .
                            Thank you very much CG, but my three plants arrived and they look fine. You get a lot of small growers on ebay and I've been pleased with plants I've received in the past. I may take a cutting too, as suggested by another grape.
                            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X