Composting grass clippings on their own. Is it possible

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by littlemoney View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I don't have any cardboard or paper I could use and no shredder. Could I add shrub prunings from Euonymus Japonicus and Lonicera Nitida (shrubby honeysuckle) to the grass as "browns" or dont shrub prunings count. I was told some time ago that laurel should not be composted which is the other hedge I have lots of.
    Shrub prunings won't help much unless shredded. They may help a little, by virtue of reducing the amount the grass cuttings mat together, but since they won't really rot at all in the time it takes the grass cuttings to rot down, they won't contribute much, and certainly won't contribute any "brown " material.

As for laurel, you should never burn or shred cherry laurel or Portuguese laurel, as both will give of hydrogen cyanide when you do.
    Composting it is fine, as it will be given off slowly and harmlessly as it rots, but of course without shredding it it is likely to take a long time to rot.
    Bay laurel (the true laurel) and Japanese laurel are absolutely fine to shred, burn or compost.

Comment

Our garden compost heap is largely grass clippings. It just takes longer to rot down. The idea to shred other stuff in with the grass is good, we tend to use our lawnmower as a shredder to pick up all the pruning and bramble bits. Your resulting compost is a bit twiggy but fine for bulk filling of large tubs.

Comment

Does anyone have a rule of thumb as to how much "other" is needed with grass? I collect neighbours compost bins and as everyone is on lockdown they are all mowing like crazy.

I think I'll put the clippings in my new bin and add a bit of semi-mature compost from the next bay to balance it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X