"Ramiro" type peppers from saved seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ramiro" type peppers from saved seed

I sowed some saved seed from shop-bought Ramiro type peppers a couple of weeks ago. They have germinated much faster than my bought seed peppers and I've got close to 100% germination!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	954.7 KB
ID:	2408267

Anyone here grown them from shop seed? What do you think are the chances of them coming true to the parent plant? I'm hoping for the best because they are a big favourite in our house.

This might help? https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ers_35987.html

Comment

Thanks VC,

Seems like a few people have tried growing them. Unfortunately, no final reports on the results on that thread though. It would be nice to know how they fruited.

Comment

Only way to find out is to try them, no guarantee you've the same variety as was being talked about. Plus some things grow better for some growers. I bet they'll be good!
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
          Only way to find out is to try them, no guarantee you've the same variety as was being talked about. Plus some things grow better for some growers. I bet they'll be good!
          If their initial germination rate is anything to go by, I should have no trouble growing them on in the greenhouse. I should have way more plants than I need, so I might chance a few outdoors too. I'll report back with the results, if and when I get fruit.

Comment

I applaud you for trying them! If all fails, you've only lost a bit of compost and space at a window.

You never know, they could turn out to be the best thing you grow this year!
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Look at this link as well. Not the same variety but still grown from shop brought.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ers_92199.html

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                Look at this link as well. Not the same variety but still grown from shop brought.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ers_92199.html
                Great link SP. Sweet Palermo look very similar to Ramiro, so I expect they'll perform similarly. It bodes well for my little seedlings!

Comment

As promised, here's an update on my Ramiro-type peppers grow from seed I saved from shop-bought peppers. They are a resounding success! I have also a couple of plants of Corno di Toro Rosso from bought seed The CDTR were sown a little earlier and hence were earlier to fruit, but the "shop" ones are not far behind. I've picked a couple that have turned red but I still have around a dozen or so plants, absolutely laden with peppers varying from 6-8 inches when fully developed. I'll be saving seed off these for next year and will start them indoors a little earlier.

Comment

Are you happy with the taste ..they look fantastic .

Comment

Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
                      Are you happy with the taste ..they look fantastic .
                      Yes, very pleased with them. Sweet and crunchy eaten raw and give good flavour in cooking. As good as, if not better than, the parent fruit. All the plants have produced fruit which looks the same, so I guess they are a true variety, not a hybrid.
                      Last edited by Bonjour; 06-09-2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I grew these this year and got a good crop.
                        I have already used some and others at still ripening.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I did some from seed saved from supermarket bought fruits.
                          The plants got crushed by several tomato plants that became aggressive with large fruits.
                          I thought the seeds came from baby plum tomatoes but the plants were otherwise.
                          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I've got a dozen sweet pepper plants growing from supermarket saved seed. They're a long pointed kind of some sort, but no idea what exactly. There are red, orange and yellow varieties, I know that much.
                            They are outdoors at my allotment, growing through black plastic. They all have multiple large green fruit on, but none are ripening yet. Admittedly I did sow them a little late (around 20th March).

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                              I've got a dozen sweet pepper plants growing from supermarket saved seed. They're a long pointed kind of some sort, but no idea what exactly. There are red, orange and yellow varieties, I know that much.
                              They are outdoors at my allotment, growing through black plastic. They all have multiple large green fruit on, but none are ripening yet. Admittedly I did sow them a little late (around 20th March).
                              I've not seen orange or yellow pointy peppers locally in the supermarket. I'll keep an eye out for them as I'd like to give them a go too. I'd be interested to see pictures of your ones when they are ready for picking.

Mine are ripening quite rapidly now. I'll be picking 4 or 5 later today.

Peppers take ages to grow and you begin to think they'll never ripen, but when they do, they don't hang about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X