Aubergines 2020

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starch View Post
    Previously I got lots of flowers but not many set...
    They like it to be very warm before they set I've found - sometimes I'll keep the greenhouse door shut even in full sun!
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Beware red spider mite, they seem to like the slightly furry leaves and don’t mind the spikes!
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
        They like it to be very warm before they set I've found - sometimes I'll keep the greenhouse door shut even in full sun!
        I doubt it is possible to overdo the heat in UK. Aubergines come from India and southern Africa.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
        āˆƒ

Comment

Yeah, when growing 'foreign' stuff I always like to keep in mind where they're from. It's just that they're in the greenhouse with tomatoes that like it slightly cooler and not as humid.

Comment

Yeah, when growing 'foreign' stuff I always like to keep in mind where they're from. It's just that they're in the greenhouse with tomatoes that like it slightly cooler and not as humid.
            I am having a hot end for aubergines and melons; and a cool end (the end with the vent) for tomatoes this year, with a polythene sheet separating them.
            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
            āˆƒ

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
              I am having a hot end for aubergines and melons...
              Good luck. Looking at your picture I'd be inclined to 'thin out' your aubs somewhat, it'll allow airflow and make it easier to keep an eye on white fly and red spider. Do melons need more heat than toms? I always stick one in a corner of the greenhouse and let it climb, although admittedly I've never managed much in the way of fruit - I think I don't feed it enough.

Comment

Oh my days, I am trying to grow these for the first time this year .. now thinking may be gonna have trouble

So far 13 out of 15 are growing happily with my early bush tomatoes x
                Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
                and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

Good luck. Looking at your picture I'd be inclined to 'thin out' your aubs somewhat, it'll allow airflow and make it easier to keep an eye on white fly and red spider. Do melons need more heat than toms? I always stick one in a corner of the greenhouse and let it climb, although admittedly I've never managed much in the way of fruit - I think I don't feed it enough.
                  Don't mention overcrowding or veggiechicken and scarlet will be along to tell me off! Actually, they weren't as crowded as they look in the pic: it's an artifact of the foreshortening of the phone camera.

No white fly due to biological control (You can just see the card with the eggs on in the pic if you click on the link to the full res version. Come right from the electric plug). No red spider - I think/hope I controlled the humidity to prevent it.

Melons need it warm and high(ish) humidity so that goes along with aubergines.
                  āˆƒ

Comment

Originally posted by Mamzie View Post
                    Oh my days, I am trying to grow these for the first time this year .. now thinking may be gonna have trouble
                    Nah, just stick them in and keep them warm and well lit. Don't be put off by me - I am a bit over-controlling.
                    āˆƒ

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                      Don't mention overcrowding or veggiechicken and scarlet will be along to tell me off! .
                      You're lucky that I've surrendered my Pointy Stick!!

Comment

Well I’ve got five seedlings on the go and I thought that was perhaps excessive, but now with your potential 50 (I find they germinate very easy - mine are also 2019 seeds) I feel so much better.

I keep mine in the ‘hot’ polytunnel with my peppers and chillies and they seem to flower, set and produce nice size aubergines just fine. I find each plant only can support two to three ‘fruits’ at any one time though but the crop for a good long time if you start them early. I sowed mine on 16th Feb.

Comment

We are ''lucky' that our summers have increased from an occasional sweltering 32 - 35 degree heatwave to hitting 38 or 39 regularly with the odd 40 degree day thrown in, so aubergines are very happy bunnies!
                          I love them :-) and am growing long purple, tsakoniki, violette di firenze, turkish orange, thaļ green pea & a pink-blushed white one which I can't remember the name of!
                          Before moving here chillies were my thing, but it's definitely aubies now :-)
                          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Past pictures, just found these of Ping Tung Long, makes me wish I'd some seed they were good...
                            Oh well, you know how it is with Ebay?! Just bought some seeds of Ping Tung. #inevitable

Comment

Have around 15 plants that have now potted on and they seem to be doing well, I am growing Black Beauty, hopefully if they keep on like they are will have plenty. Will put them in greenhouse and keep as warm as possible as this seems to be the consensus.

Comment

We're growing moneymaker again which produce well for us, they're fed the same as the toms and also get a regular foliar spray with weak seaweed. The plants in MFB's (50/50 shop compost and home made) do much better than those direct in the ground, maybe the roots are warmer.
                                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X