Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grow potatoes in the ground or in pots ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pots as we have no space for them in the raised beds. Last year the Charlottes from Thompson & Morgan did well in the 8 L polypots from their seed potato offer thing, yielding about 800g per pot.

Comment

In the ground for me, I've been trying to break up heavy clay soil, it works a treat. I used to grow potatoes in bags when limited for space.

Comment

I've seen various videos of pots with the bottoms buried and quite like the idea from a harvest point of view and also less pest damage but as others have said it does mean more watering. I might try some in the ground and some in pots side by side and see what the results are.

Comment

Its 50/50 for me, I absolutely love the ease of harvesting potatoes from containers... soooo much easier to get every last tiny potato than in the ground.

But.. your watering game has to be first class to have good yields, I tend to forget to go and water regularly enough and find particularly with black containers that heat up in the late spring early summer sun they dry out fast.
          <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

I have grown potatoes in containers a d in the ground.
            For me the harvest from the ground was far better.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Not having any ground to grow spuds in I just use 90 litre pots that I get off a farmer friend. Use good potato compost and only grow second earliest. The spuds are much cleaner than from the ground and one bag about 3 lbs gives enough up to the winter. The good thing for me is that I can sit the compost in an old greenhouse and come the following spring just the throw the compost in the mixer and some fertilizer. That saves me buying compost for the bedding plants.
              Bob.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X