Sowing all things Cucurbit - 2020

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wish list...

Aubergines: Jewel mixed, Hansel and Gretel. (black beauty came with GYO this month so maybe)
    Courgette: 1 ball, Griller mixed and all green bush (1 of each)
    Cukes: Burpless, Beth Alpha and Dimant. (1 of each)
    Summer SQ: Trombocinio (2), Sunburst and Patison Gagat (1 of each)
    Winter SQ: I have room for 3 from a choice of Volskaya Grey, Angel Hair, Buffy Ball,Turks Turban, Pumpkin Hooligan, Autumn Crown and Uchiki (recommendations please!)
    V.P.
    The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Am I missing something here? Some sort of in-joke?
      Two people have mentioned aubergines now, but they're a nightshade, not a cucurbit...

Comment

Likely my fault, I kept the seeds near my cucs thinking they will need similar growing conditions, so just listed it as I was writing names down - I am a newbie but also an oldie gardener trying to learn new tricks and try new things out
        Last edited by Mamzie; 28-01-2020, 09:05 AM.
        Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
        and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
          Am I missing something here? Some sort of in-joke?
          Two people have mentioned aubergines now, but they're a nightshade, not a cucurbit...
          You are perfectly right... and I apologise for my over enthusiasm No rude jokes here

V.P.
          The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Sowing Melon Galia Lavi Gal F1 today, about 3 weeks earlier than last year. Into propagator in greenhouse. Was very successful last year so trying to push the season a bit longer. Should go into greenhouse bed about end February by which time bed should have a few hours sun each day (according to https://www.suncalc.org)

Cucumber Baby F1, sown about 28 days ago, through about 21 days. Have fully open cotyledons and just a little point where I hope the first true leaves will emerge.

Aubergines - Oh no, nothing about aubergines here, sorry
            Last edited by quanglewangle; 29-01-2020, 08:15 AM. Reason: typos - this writing suff is very hard
            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
            ∃

Comment

I wish there was a lol button as well as a like
              Last edited by Mamzie; 29-01-2020, 08:55 AM.
              Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
              and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

Ah I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a cucumber plant on the go! I planted one cucumber Carmen f1 seed on a heat mat on January 1st, and it's doing well, two true leaves now. I've started one cucumber every year with my early chillies in January and it's great fun! By the time it out grows the grow lights its ready to sit in my living room by the French doors and there it gets enough light to grow up and around as a productive houseplant. I usually get first cucumbers by the start of April and it keeps going long enough for the April planted glasshouse ones to catch up. I'd definitely recommend it!

Comment

I'm so excited to get started on squash - grew them for the first time last year and it was amazing to watch them grow! This year we got a bit over excited seed shopping, so will probably do one or two plants of the following:

Crown Prince
                  Uchiki Kuri
                  Black Futsu
                  Tromboncino
                  Old Boer White
                  Honey Bear

Uchikis were my favourite last year - so lovely, rich and nutty! Perfect for roasting.

Comment

Originally posted by hop-a-long View Post
                    Ah I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a cucumber plant on the go! I planted one cucumber Carmen f1 seed on a heat mat on January 1st, and it's doing well, two true leaves now. I've started one cucumber every year with my early chillies in January and it's great fun! By the time it out grows the grow lights its ready to sit in my living room by the French doors and there it gets enough light to grow up and around as a productive houseplant. I usually get first cucumbers by the start of April and it keeps going long enough for the April planted glasshouse ones to catch up. I'd definitely recommend it!
                    Interesting hop-a-long. Do you pot it up into larger pots as you go? What size does it end up in? I'm interested particularly because another thread has been discussing how temperamental/prone to dying cucumbers seedlings are.
                    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I've got 4 seedlings of Telegraph Improved on the windowsill. I sowed them about 10 days ago. They are just starting to get their first true leaves. I'm hoping I can keep them going until it's safe to put them out in the greenhouse. If they fail me, I still have the other 4 seeds to try again.

Later, I'll be growing Golden Zucchini and F1 Midnight courgettes and Crown Prince blue pumpkins. I'll also be trying a risky Crimson Sweet watermelon outdoors in a sheltered spot. wish me luck for a long, hot summer!

Comment

Sown 23/1 in heated propagator.
                        4 Courgette Partenon and 3 of 4 Beth Alpha cucumbers.

Out on windowsill as soon as they germinated. They've been spending the days in the GH whenever the temp is more than 10C

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200225_155124.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	2386381

Comment

Started My Melons today. Alvaro F1, tried them last year on a whim, think I sowed them in june/july and I still managed to get a few melons off them, Really tasty as well

going to do some Trombocinos this weekend also, and I think I'll try that Beth alpha cucumber that's been mentioned

Comment

Oops, maybe. Cucumber and melon?

I have just realized I have plant out my all-female-don't-pollinate cucumbers next to my melons.
                            Will the melons pollinate the melons?

[edit] add picture of cucumbers in greenhouse bed
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by quanglewangle; 16-03-2020, 12:44 PM.
                            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                            ∃

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                              Just the 4 this year.

Courgette Tromboncino d'albenga
                              Pumpkin small sugar
                              squash scallop mix
                              cucumber Beth alpha
                              Oddly enough the above has changed somewhat!
                              So far I’ve got
                              Courgette de nizza - 4
                              Courgette zucchini - 9
                              Courgette zucchini gold - 7
                              Cucumber Beth alpha - 3
                              Cucumber carosello medio lungo pugliese - 2
                              Others will be sown later this month.

Comment

I've sown the following courgettes, which I will put in pots:

Patriot F1
                                Shooting Star F1

For cucumber I've just ordered the seeds for an exotic variety:

Poona Kheera

I hope this will do as well in the plastic greenhouse as the Dragon's Egg variety did a few years ago, but I'll might also let one grow outside.
                                Last edited by cazp; 03-04-2020, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X