• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sowed more courgettes -
    Defender
    Green Bush
    Endurance

All well past their sow by date (2014/2016).
    Nothing ventured...............

Comment

My single cucumber sown on 31st March (Cucino) germinated a few days ago. This will go in my friend's greenhouse. The remaining cucumbers, courgettes and melons will be sown in the last 10 days of April. Any earlier and I find I struggle to have space to protect them if we get any cold nights in May.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Cucumber pruning advice please

I now have two female flowers with little fruits on my Baby F1 cucumbers.

I have a couple of questions:
        1. Should I restrict each plant to a single stem?
        2. Should I restrict the fruits to one per axil, even though they are a mini variety?
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
        ∃

Comment

I don't know if it's the "right" way, but I let my cukes grow side shoots but stop them at one fruit each. Too many fruits set at once seems to limit the size they grow to and to drying up and dropping off, which might not be a issue with stumpy varieties but I like a traditional long supermarket type.
          Last edited by Bonjour; 17-04-2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

I fear I may have sown my cucumbers too early *again*. They are all up and away now...hope they don't mind cold gh too much.

Comment

Really surprised at just how quickly cucumbers come up! Sown January 15th - so about 90 days ago.

Cucumber Baby F1
              I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
              ∃

Comment

Planted some of my cucumbers today. They’re behind the courgettes. Harvesting might get a bit interesting

Click image for larger version

Name:	EC0AD38F-42F4-4AEB-B96B-E61E84991EFE.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	2387015

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                  Planted some of my cucumbers today. They’re behind the courgettes. Harvesting might get a bit interesting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91152[/ATTACH]
                  Those are pretty small plants. If it really okay to plant up cucumbers that small? Maybe I should prepare my pots for mine already...

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                    Those are pretty small plants. If it really okay to plant up cucumbers that small? Maybe I should prepare my pots for mine already...
                    Mine were about same size when I planted them into greenhouse bed and are going well. See pic two posts up. I wanted to minimise root disturbance due to potting through a succession on incrementally larger pots
                    Last edited by quanglewangle; 18-04-2020, 06:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
                    ∃

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                      A little smaller than I would usually plant out into final spot. I wanted them out the way and they are my second & not so important experimental variety.

Comment

I potted on my Telegraph Improved cucumbers yesterday. This is their second and final potting into 12" pots.They were sow in February and are setting their first fruit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0463 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	2387019

Comment

Think I sowed all mine too early pumpkins all have 3 or 4 fruit on them already have planted 3 in the polytunnel along with 3 butternut some tomatoes and melon which were all getting too big so hope we don't get any serious late frosts. I do however have dozens of back ups, got a bit carried away with the new heated greenhouse
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Starch; 18-04-2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

All but the Volskaya Grey and Autumn Crown have now germinated, today is the start of day 13 so I may still be being impatient.
                            That said all the other seeds have germinated and I have twice as many plants as I need, I only wanted 1 of each type and 2 trombas. If we have a better year than last I will be swamped.
                            At least I have a valid excuse this year for putting a parcel of courgettes etc. on a doorstep, ringing the bell then running away!!!
                            V.P.
                            The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

I was concerned that I'd sowed my cucumbers and courgettes too early. They germinated much quicker than I expected. Fortunately, some well-timed damping off was here to save the day! : s

Comment

I've just sown 2 q's, Beth Alpha and Diva and will be sowing in mid May/June 2 squashes, my favourite of all time, Potimarron and a new one to me, because it was cheap, Autumn Crown.
                                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X