Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear and sow gardening - another nutty idea?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 2 - and its grown a bit!

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1105.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	2386077

Yesterday, I'd only cleared and sown the patch between the fence on the left and the old branch in the middle.Today, I've incorporated part of the path into the bed and its become heart shaped .....Awww!!
    Along the back fence (my next door neighbour's chicken run) I've scattered some old perennial sweet pea seeds.
    Then a scattering of spinach seeds alongside all the logs (a la Gertrud Franck) moved some self-seeded wallflowers into a block and scattered some old cabbage seeds in front of them.

All these old seeds would still be sitting in the cupboard and the couch grass growing in this patch (Bed 28) if I hadn't practised what I preached.

Comment

If I clear a patch and sow immediately then the weed seeds germinate alongside the ones I’ve sown. So I find it better to allow a few weeks between clearing and sowing. Also if there are perennial weeds e.g. bindweed in the bed then if you only clear a small patch and plant it, it will be riddled with bindweed before you get a crop. So it’s not a method that I’ll be trying.
      Last edited by Mitzi; 20-01-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X