• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, the gloves are off.
    Time to find my seeds and join you Sp.

Comment

Still a bit too early for here, but I'll catch you later

Comment

Can I play? I'm due to sow them this week.
        Like a proper pillock I let them climb over a flimsy metal arch already bending under sweet peas and morning glories. Carnage when we had a massive thunderstorm and the lot blew into a heap of smashed vegetation and twisted metal. And still they kept growing ..
        Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Of course you can play PP

All the more the sillier!!

Comment

I won't sow mine for a while yet... not enough space for them, but it won't be long! Let's hope for a better year for them than last
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

We grew some last year, didn't realise they kept like winter squash until we saw this video. I don't speak French but I can see how big this chap has grown them!

To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I prefer them smaller and definitely best while they are lime green in colour. If you store them, they go yellow and orange in colour inside. At that stage they are very sweet, almost like melon and I really don't like it in food. I won't store any at all this year if I'm lucky enough to get any

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                  I prefer them smaller and definitely best while they are lime green in colour. If you store them, they go yellow and orange in colour inside. At that stage they are very sweet, almost like melon ...
                  I can't say ours tasted like that at all, and we kept it over winter. I too dislike winter squash that taste sweet. Ours didn't taste sweet, more like a butternut.
                  Last edited by smallblueplanet; 08-04-2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

The seeds are in.....got two under the stairs still .

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                      I can't say ours tasted like that at all, and we kept it over winter. I too dislike winter squash that taste sweet. Ours didn't taste sweet, more like a butternut.
                      Interesting! It was tromba d'albenga that I gre that year, and I saved a handful really large ones. I'll see if I can find a photo.
                      It might be I need to look for a different variety maybe. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                        Interesting! It was tromba d'albenga that I gre that year, and I saved a handful really large ones. I'll see if I can find a photo.
                        It might be I need to look for a different variety maybe. What do you think?
                        I'm not really sure what the difference is between squash varieties, is it just the 'given' name? Tromba de Albenga, Trombetta D'Albenga, Tromboncino Albenga... or variations.

Are Sicilian Snakes the same? Zucchetta Serpente di Sicilia - Serpent of Sicily?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293536996395

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                          I'm not really sure what the difference is between squash varieties, is it just the 'given' name? Tromba de Albenga, Trombetta D'Albenga, Tromboncino Albenga... or variations.
                          I think that their provenance is Albenga, Italy whilst Serpente di Sicilia is from Sicily.
                          ............don't ask me about French beans or Brussels sprouts.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            I think that their provenance is Albenga, Italy whilst Serpente di Sicilia is from Sicily.
                            ............don't ask me about French beans or Brussels sprouts.
                            Why, do they come from Italy as well
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I grow them both for picking tiny and for keeping. I like the dense texture & nutty flavour and don't find it too sweet. They keep pretty well, although perhaps not as well as crown prince or butternuts.
                              The rounds from the non-seed end are the perfect size for cooking like fondant potato, one per (greedy) person.
                              Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                I think that their provenance is Albenga, Italy whilst Serpente di Sicilia is from Sicily...
                                Lol. Yeah but you know they don't look so different, but then I'm not Sicilian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X