No announcement yet.

Which spuds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitabella and bonnie for earlies plus kinsman maincrop and/Or Alouette.

Comment

Only ever grown in pots however first year in the allotment therefore I've ordered Spunta Second Early &In ternational Kidney First Early, will probably get a few others as I have space to burn
      Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
        Only ever grown in pots however first year in the allotment therefore I've ordered Spunta Second Early &In ternational Kidney First Early, will probably get a few others as I have space to burn
        Love Spunta

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
          Love Spunta
          I know TS, you put me on to them:-)
          Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
            I know TS, you put me on to them:-)
            Hahahahaha!

Comment

New Years resolution is to def go to a Potato Day in 2020. And there is one near me weekend after next....
              Last year grew Charlotte salad which i thought were a bit disappointing flavour wise and pfa main crop which performed well. Both in containers at home.
              Considering Lady Christyl again as early as I love the taste

Comment

I popped into my local Wilko yesterday and they were clearing away all the Christmas tat & rubbish and had seed displays up and a few potato varieties on the shelving Got some very strange looks off other customers as I took a few pics on my phone

They had all at 2kg for £2.50 the following...

First Earlies

Pentland Javelin
                Rocket
                Arran Pilot

Second Earlies

Charlotte
                Maris Peer
                Wilja

Maincrop

King Edward
                Desiree
                Maris Piper
                Rooster

Hanging in small bags above at £1 were other varieties (usually 5 in a bag)

Vivaldi
                Kestrel
                Sharpe's Express

Usual small bags of red & white onions in, rhubarb, strawberries etc. No doubt there'll be more as the week progresses
                Last edited by Gillykat; 03-01-2020, 11:22 AM.
                If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

I'm growing:

Red Duke of York (1st early)
                  Roseval (2nd early/salad)
                  Mayan Gold (maincrop)
                  Setanta (maincrop)

These are all ones that I've had good results with in previous years. I'm also trialling a small row of a couple I haven't grown before, Rosabelle (first early salad) and Pink Gypsy (early maincrop)

Comment

1st year trying Casablanca (extra early) harvesting from June-july
                    and some sarpos supposed to be more blight resistant:
                    Una (2nd) very nice tasting new spuds (july-August)
                    Mira (main) (aug-Sept/oct) this year I have just eaten my last one yesterday, makes good roasties
                    Axona (late main) (Sept-Oct...) 1st year of trying these.

I grow in sacks and harvest each sack as I run out, this year I didn't have to buy any spuds from July to now. (2 people, 2+ portions of spuds each per week) They go back on the shopping list in a fortnight when I run out.

My order of new seed potatoes should be dropping through the letter box at the end of the month, my egg box collection is ready and waiting.
                    V.P.
                    The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Earlies - International Kidney (aka Jersey Royals in that part of the world)

Don't tend to bother with second earlies.

Maincrop - Maris Piper all day long. They're a risk as are quite susceptible to blight which was quite bad in my neck of the woods in 2019, but my aspirin spray kept it at bay long enough to give them over a month longer in the ground. Best flavour for chips, roasties, and mash, due to the floury texture.

Cara - just a few plants as they're good bakers.

Also grow Pink Fir Apple, the last of which I dug up for Christmas dinner.

I'd quite like to try some novelty varieties like those weird blue or black ones. Has anyone tried these, if so what do they taste like?
                      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Can I hijack the thread and ask when might be a good idea to get my taters off and chitting? Bought a tiny amount of Apache and Yukon gold to try, the local garden centre is doing what seems like potato month and had an overwhelming amount.
                        I know potatoes grow fine on my plot because I had some surprise ones appear last year- just the chap that sold them cautioned me against not letting them get frosty, not that we’ve really had any all winter in Gloucestershire.

Comment

Originally posted by Zonmatron View Post
                          Can I hijack the thread and ask when might be a good idea to get my taters off and chitting? just the chap that sold them cautioned me against not letting them get frosty, not that we’ve really had any all winter in Gloucestershire.
                          Zonmatron most of us just leave our potatoes to chit on a windowsill I place mine in egg boxes to stop them falling of or you could use seed trays.
                          I think your seller means that don’t leave your potatoes where they’re likely to get frosted like in a shed.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Charlottes, 2nd earlies because they're a tasty all rounder
                            Sarpo Kifli mains because of their blight resistance and their lasting new spud taste. They also store really well.
                            Usually grow Kestrel 2nd earlies too but planning to cut down on potato production this year so we'll have to see about that one. Probably end up with a few tester plants of something different just to try.
                            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

We like to get our Charlotte chitting about now for planting out early February but the pesky local farmers' co-op hasn't got any seed potatoes in yet.

They sort of work as early through to main. We get awful blight (warm and wet here) but so long as you strim to top off at the first sign they seem to stay edible.
                              I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                              ∃

Comment

Charlotte are my favourite as well they seem to grow well in the recycling boxes I use.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X