Lethal Decking!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
    Chicken wire, or you could scatter coarse sand on it.

Personally, I would rip it up, dry it out, and burn it.

Mr Titchmarsh should never be forgiven for the trend he began in the 1990's.

/[/url]
    Totally agree after going flying on a neighbour's decking.

I seem to remember it makes nice home for rats.

From memory they used the very shoddy dab method of laying slabs.
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I would try external varnish and a dusting of course sand over it while it is still wet
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

You have this same compromise on boats. Really durable genuinely non-slip surfaces are ugly, expensive, and will take off the soles of your shoes (or feet!). On the other hand you settle for something not too slippy, take care, and keep it clean.
        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
        ∃

Comment

After I got rid of the slippy decking I had a stone slab patio laid. That got slippy too.
          My neighbour used to buy some cleaning liquid from the Farmer's store that was used for milking parlours. He'd spray it onto the slabs with a garden sprayer, leave it to stand for a while, then brush it off with a stiff broom. Had to be done every year. Would probably work on decking too.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            ...My neighbour used to buy some cleaning liquid from the Farmer's store...
            Well, if you have access to a farmer's coop Aladdin's cave your problems are over
            Patio Magic Concentrate - 2.5L | Fertiliser | Mole Valley Farmers

(Other farmer's shops are available, as they say)
            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
            ∃

Comment

I'm not really surprised that someone would cut a criss cross pattern into steps with an angle grinder.......the " where there's a blame there's a claim" culture has a lot to answer for. Truly non-slip surfaces, particularly when wet, are nigh on impossible to find. I remember my husband painting the passarelle (gangplank) on our boat with a mix of epoxy and lots of gritty sand for the benefit of our cat. We used the handrails as well.....I really don't like decking. I always imagine rats and mice are hiding underneath.

Comment

Cleaning fluids generally = toxic to plants
                Power hosing is the kindest to the environment surely?
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  But not just before a " big freeze"

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    Not many plants grow in a stone paved patio!

Comment

Yeah, we did have to contend with a rat in residence under the decking when we were doing the conversion of the cottage...
                      All at once I hear your voice
                      And time just slips away
                      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Not many plants grow in a stone paved patio!
                        I was thinking of any run off?
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It wasn't applied in gallons, just a spray on the slabs that was left to dry and brushed.

Comment

Keeping it clean is the key. The trouble is (as is normally the case) you need to do it before it gets slippy.

Pressure wash in the autumn when it's due to be dry for a couple of days after and then re-treat with stain to firstly remove any mud and algae and then to seal the surface to prevent build up over winter... and then hose it off in the spring when the worst of the weather has passed.

We have a bridge over the stream at the bottom of our garden which has decking planks and it is treacherous right now as it stays humid down there all year and i don't have electricity or a hose point nearby to pressure wash it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X