Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds to me as if voles have taken up residence in the Mole runs. The oonly answer is to trap them or put mouse bait in the runs.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Ger-annie-um View Post
      Really? How big do the balls need to be and what happens?
      Marble size.... And ‘POP’. Don’t be worried i’ve never found a body yet, just no activity.

Mix is 2,1,1,1. may need a little water to make the dough

Comment

Originally posted by Logunner View Post
        Baking powder, hot chocolate powder, flour and peanut butter all mixed into a dough. Roll into balls and spread around your beds.
        I'll try this next time (there will be a next time) I have a rat problem.

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
          Sounds to me as if voles have taken up residence in the Mole runs. The oonly answer is to trap them or put mouse bait in the runs.
          Would logrunners recipe work for voles, do you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Logunner View Post
            Marble size.... And ‘POP’. Don’t be worried i’ve never found a body yet, just no activity.

Mix is 2,1,1,1. may need a little water to make the dough
            Thanks, I'll give it a go. We don't want to give up the lottie but there's not much point carrying on if we don't get any produce.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
              Pretty sure Moles are carnivores, don't think they eat veg, I did have some in a lawn down south and tried those rocket shaped things you put batteries in(stop sniggering at the back),they were useless. Jasper Carrot had a good method...……….https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93mgyE2ctwg
              One of my favorite sketches of all time:-)
              Cheers

Danny

Comment

This idea comes from the US and they use baking soda which we call bicarbonate of soda. Baking powder is a mix of bicarb of soda and tartaric acid. You don't need the tartaric acid as the acid in the rat's stomach has the same effect.

Apparently you need 2 grams (half a teaspoon) of bicarb per kilo of rat. It's not a pleasant death.

Also please remember that hedgehogs and badgers also adore peanut butter and will be drawn to the smell of it from quite a distance.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                  This idea comes from the US and they use baking soda which we call bicarbonate of soda. Baking powder is a mix of bicarb of soda and tartaric acid. You don't need the tartaric acid as the acid in the rat's stomach has the same effect.

Apparently you need 2 grams (half a teaspoon) of bicarb per kilo of rat. It's not a pleasant death.

Also please remember that hedgehogs and badgers also adore peanut butter and will be drawn to the smell of it from quite a distance.
                  Oh dear, I'd hate it if wildlife other than the ones I'm targeting were hurt. I do have a 3ft windbreak around the beds and we've never seen/had hedgehogs or badgers on the plot. We've used peanut butter as bait for traps before and only caught mice. I do need to do something though.

Comment

What do you mean by a "windbreak"? Is it a solid barrier?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      What do you mean by a "windbreak"? Is it a solid barrier?
                      It's a bit like debris netting but a lot stronger, same height 1m. It's stapled at the bottom to a 6" wooden edging frame with no gaps

Comment

**Mod note...I'm closing this thread as unfortunately the methods being described wouldn't be acceptable to the RSPCA as a humane way of dispatching wildlife.
                        I'm sure you would be aware of that .
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X