No announcement yet.

Is there a 'best way' to dig up turf?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In spite of the wet apology for a summer we've had, I think dry ground from the last few weeks of sun might be adding to your problems Claire. I began to remove turf from a grass path in my front garden in order to make a path of bark chippings (walkable on in all weathers) and only got a bit done before the baking effect set in. It's really wrist-breaking so I've left it to get a good soaking. Looks much better since we had a wet night last night.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Wet night lastnight, so I'm about to give it another go and see how I do!

Claire
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Hooray! A combo of softer ground after the rain and the 'chopping' method (which I shall always think of as 'The Snadger Way' now!) made it much better. I've just done the same area as I managed yesterday, in about half the time and with much less bad language I'll keep doing a bit 'little & often'

Thanks again for all the advice folks!

Claire

Comment

Hi Seahorse - just seen your thread (I'm new to the forum) and have also been creating beds from turfed ground and my tool of choice has been one of those half moon shaped border spade things (don't know what it's called but you're supposed to use it for edges). It's been absolutely invaluable to cut through the top 3 inches of turf and you don't need loads of upper body strength to get it in - just a good stamp with your foot. Once I've made a guide line with it I can then get my spade in and lever the turf and topsoil up. I have decided to go for the method of turning the turf over and then covering it with soil from the next row although this is quite hard work It cost me about €10 which is about £7. Hope this helps.

Comment

Cheers palborn I'm doing ok with 'The Snadger Way' but am still on the lookout for a tool like the one you described. I have my name down on all the waiting lists for in-walking-distance allotments, so I suspect there may well be more hard digging in my future!

Claire

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I'm going to lift some turf in my garden to create a second bed and I had been starting to think (worry!) about how to do it. I wasn't going to bother with a turf edger thingumy but I think now it might be worth it.

You've also made me think about the "little and often" method. I'm only little too so anything heavy/difficult can take me a bit longer but I think I'll take it a strip at a time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X