No announcement yet.

Digging with a spade

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find the azada is invaluable when planting potatoes. I dig my trench with it and also earth up.

Comment

All initial digging done with a fork due to large flints and compaction.

A tool I have found useful is a drainage spade

It's narrow and very heavy and excellent for chopping through roots and hacking through clay.

I was introduced to it by builders who dug footings for my extension.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-All-...-Tool/p/167425
      Last edited by DannyK; 18-11-2019, 01:04 PM.
      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
        All initial digging done with a fork due to large flints and compaction.

A tool I have found useful is a drainage spade
        http://https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wick...-Tool/p/167425

It's narrow and very heavy and excellent for chopping through roots and hacking through clay.

I was introduced to it by builders who dug footings for my extension.
        Sorry link doesn't work for me!

Comment

I only use a spade in circumstances where a fork doesn't work, which usually means straightening edges, or occasionally digging out large stones. I find a fork vastly easier for just about everything else.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I have quite a bit of spade work to do in my garden stripping a thin layer of turf off the surface of newly formed hebaceous perennial beds which were once lawn.
            I used to have a crook necked heart shaped turf lifting iron which I foolishly gave away thinking my turfing days were over, hence the need for a sharp spade.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Oops, one too many http

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-All-...-Tool/p/167425

Sorry, I usually check links!
              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Since The Don said he dug up parsnips with a spade I have done so too and found it doesn’t damage the roots as a fork can. Also spade used for chopping stems etc for the compost bin - very satisfying

Comment

I use a Cornish shovel (actually a spade, and mine is American). The blade is the shape of a playing card spade and it has a long handle. It takes a while to get the knack of using one "economically" as it were - standing upright with the knee as a kind of fulcrum - but now I can turn over our light soil very quickly.

I literally turn the sods over so as to bury the weeds facing downwards, the same way a plough works - don't really bother to weed first (or after)*. Just run a rake over the resulting clean soil and it's good to go.

*except if I spot any of the awful invasive Montbretia (Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora)
                  I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                    I use a Cornish shovel (actually a spade, and mine is American). The blade is the shape of a playing card spade and it has a long handle. It takes a while to get the knack of using one "economically" as it were - standing upright with the knee as a kind of fulcrum - but now I can turn over our light soil very quickly.

I literally turn the sods over so as to bury the weeds facing downwards, the same way a plough works - don't really bother to weed first (or after)*. Just run a rake over the resulting clean soil and it's good to go.

*except if I spot any of the awful invasive Montbretia (Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora)
                    Strangely, I've just brought mine back to my new plot from where it was hiding on my old plot. I wholeheartedly agree about its ease of use and will get back to using it if need be. Its a lot easier on the back
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X