No announcement yet.

Early ripening peppers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find all large peppers take a long time to fully ripen. What about growing mini sweet peppers they ripen by June while waiting for the others. It’s nice having peppers early summer & I usually cut them up,it doesn’t matter about size. I find the orange type ripen quicker than red,gourmet are a good one. Weather can affect their growth,the hot temperatures this year stopped growth here for my tomatoes & runner beans,nothing’s grown undercover here,it was so hot in the summer about 37 degrees C at one point,plants were struggling & the garden looked really still,no bees or anything (except aphids) at midday,I couldn’t even be out there longer than ten minutes at a time,I wonder if they’d like a shade cloth?

Comment

Originally posted by muckdiva View Post
      Not sure but interested to see what other grapes recommend. I tend to have more success with things ripening outdoors than in a GH for some reason...
      Are you being serious? A one off? Maybe last year with the exceptional heat?
      I used to grow them outside but even in Wiltshire where we have some very good weather - and I'm southfacing - I've given up growing peppers and chillies outside. They may ripen but the crop is half the size of anything I've grown undercover.

I like the sweet Aji - Dedo de Mocha. Ripens well for me.
      Last edited by Scarlet; 15-11-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jungle Jane;1680878]I find all large peppers take a long time to fully ripen. What about growing mini sweet peppers they ripen by June while waiting for the others. It’s nice having peppers early summer & I usually cut them up,it doesn’t matter about size. I find the orange type ripen quicker than red,gourmet are a good one.

I grew one mini pepper, called snackpepper I think (bought the plant, didn't sow from seed so not certain of the name). The plant was about 12-15 inches high, the peppers did ripen - and interestingly they were orange Jane - but I must have got about four off it, and they were about an inch long. Not much return for the space. If Gourmet is a bigger mini pepper then I'd be most interested. Other suggestions welcome
        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I grow snackbite red, orange and yellow, which have small fruit. In the greenhouse in a chiligrow planter they make bushy plants about 2ft high with plenty of fruit that ripens quite late (my friend's greenhouse is rather shady which probably doesn't help). I also grow them indoors on my windowsill in 2 litre pots, where the plants are rather less bushy but fruit earlier. The last couple of years I have kept the plants over winter (one winter only) and as a result from 4 plants I had ripe peppers constantly from last summer until now. This year, probably due to not harvesting them when ripe as I had far too many, they have now stopped flowering, but I don't mind as I have plenty in the freezer. You won't get big fruit, but one plant will produce several flushes of upto 10 small peppers at a time.

So, the answer to early peppers is probably to overwinter a small fruited variety in the house.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X