No announcement yet.

Climbing beans up North

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year I grew Nectargold, which is a yellow climbing french bean. I sowed them in pots indoors in mid May and planted out 3 plants in early June. Beans were ready to eat towards the end of July, but I preferred the runners and most of these got left on the plant until the pods dried. I picked 2 carrier bags full of pods for my friend in early September.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

But last year we had exceptional hot weather? It was also amazing for tomatoes and chillies.
      Last edited by Scarlet; 12-10-2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by match View Post
        Just looked these up and apparently it's another name for 'Lazy Housewife' beans which we have tried twice, and both times they only started flowering in mid-September, and were later than other beans we grew.
        That is what the suppliers call them, but when I looked "Lazy housewife beans", the variety that comes up looks completely different, so I'm not sure they are actually the same.
        What do the seeds of the "Lazy Housewife" you grow look like? Are they a fairly normal bean-shape?
        If they are, they are not Coco blanc a rames. These beans are very round, almost pea-shaped.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        But last year we had exceptional hot weather? It was also amazing for tomatoes and chillies.
        French and runner beans don't actually like it too hot. They sulk and don't grow much.
        Although admittedly up north, "too hot" would probably be harder to achieve.

Comment

Runner beans are the ones that sulk in hot weather - and aren't pollinated when the weather is too cold for the bees to fly.
          French beans are less demanding than runners.

I have both Coco blanc a rames and Lazy Housewife seeds - although I haven't looked for them to compare. I wonder whether the seed companies are using "Lazy Housewife" as a description - a bean that doesn't need stringing, not saying that the 2 beans are the same variety - (I don't think they are).

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Runner beans are the ones that sulk in hot weather - and aren't pollinated when the weather is too cold for the bees to fly.
            French beans are less demanding than runners.

I have both Coco blanc a rames and Lazy Housewife seeds - although I haven't looked for them to compare. I wonder whether the seed companies are using "Lazy Housewife" as a description - a bean that doesn't need stringing, not saying that the 2 beans are the same variety - (I don't think they are).
            Yeah, I suspect that is the case, because they definitely don't look like the same variety.

As for hot weather, it's true that runner beans sulk more in hot weather, but even French beans do if it's hot enough. One of my wigwams did really poorly most of last summer because it was so damn hot. But the other wigwam, in partial shade, did much better.

Comment

The hot weather last year helped to dry them. I don't water so my beans were a disaster last year.

My lazy house wife beans are white and round - I always thought they were called lazy because they aren't very tall. No more than 4 /5 foot.

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/beans.html
              Last edited by Scarlet; 13-10-2019, 05:31 AM.

Comment

You don't water your beans?!???!?!?
                Sounds like those beans you grew were aptly named

Comment

I water with water butts ( I have 2 on each GH and shed and a few on the house)...if they run dry then that's it. I'm on a water meter. It's just too expensive - I use the hose for my two green houses and also new plants because we don't get that much rain. I watered in my new hedge this year which took forever.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    The ones we got from realseeds are small, round, white beans that look pea-like, like the ones pictured on Sutton's Coco blanc a rames packet. However I notice that the heritage seed library and Beans and Herbs picture a tan coloured bean shaped bean with this name - so yes there are definitely 2 varieties going around with the same name!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X