No announcement yet.

How much soil to move

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.............and I thought I was the confused one around here.
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 22-09-2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

I have added to the compost I started off with in pots four some years ago. I upgraded to bigger pots and added more compost both store bought and home made. Now I'm growing in bags for life so added even more compost, but after four years I have only grown tomatoes in there, and no signs of any trouble. In fact this was my most productive year yet
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have now used the remaining soil that was in the raised bed to cover a 4in. layer of seaweed I will remove some soil (made up of garden compost, seaweed, shredded trees and course sand) which will allow me empty a compost bin and some bags of seaweed, the soil I will remove will go onto the raised bed and that will be topped up by some of my flower baskets
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

After all the discussion, you're doing your own thing anyway!
          Don't know why we try to help you.
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 22-09-2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
            Yes. You right, I wrong.
            A tip qw., try to avoid telling VC that she is right your post could have been "there is a possibility that I could be wrong" better that than saying,"you right" ,that statement could come back to haunt you
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Rary, you know I'm always right, women always are.
              Thought your OH would have told you that by now.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                After all the discussion, you're doing your own thing anyway!
                Don't know whey we try to help you.
                But you have helped me after all it was almost 10min. before I got an answer and by that time I had a couple of barrow loads removed, but after reading the comments from several other Grapes which would seem to agree with your method and noting that Bren has doing the same for nine years I have spread the soil which remained over the top of the seaweed and that will get topped up with more soil and that will set the bed up for a good number of years
                Last edited by rary; 22-09-2019, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Rary, you know I'm always right, women always are.
                  Thought your OH would have told you that by now.
                  Many many times

Comment

Well thats all the soil moving complete, removed some from where I grow the trombos emptied a brown bin 3/4 full of compost into that bed then topped it up withe the soil I had removed from the tomato raised bed, and must say the soil from both points look really good, says a lot about using compost and seaweed as the soil is in great condition, the raised bed has been topped up to a level slightly above the hight of the retaining walls so that it will still be high once the soil settles and the seaweed rots a bit, and thanks for the contrabution to the thread

Comment

rary, do you wash the salt out of the seaweed before you use it?
                      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                      ∃

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                        rary, do you wash the salt out of the seaweed before you use it?
                        No it goes straight onto the soil, I have been adding seaweed for several years and there are no ill efects with doing so, I have actually found that there is less bother from slugs and snails in the areas I use it, also I have/had a problem with flat worms in the garden and since adding seaweed I have not came across any flat worms

Comment

I really need to go scavenging for seaweed - I live only five minutes from the sea! I even took the god for a walk at the weekend and didn't bring a bag for the seaweed that washed up. You've inspired me Rary - I will get better!
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't remove your soil, just top it up, it'll be fine.
                            Don't worry about pathogens either, soil microbiology is forever competing, the natural soil bacteria will out compete any new pathogen.
                            Don't worry about rotation, things will be fine
                            I've never rotated and I never will, the equilibrium of soil life rearranges what you think it should be.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
                              Don't remove your soil, just top it up, it'll be fine.
                              Don't worry about pathogens either, soil microbiology is forever competing, the natural soil bacteria will out compete any new pathogen.
                              Don't worry about rotation, things will be fine
                              I've never rotated and I never will, the equilibrium of soil life rearranges what you think it should be.
                              As I have said I have moved all the soil that I needed to and have covered seaweed with it, if you have ever covered a bed in a greenhouse with seaweed over the winter you will know why it needs to be covered
                              Plus of course I enjoy doing some digging as it helps keep me young

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X