The ups and downs of a gardener

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the eternal grower paradox.

We always say 'next year will be better', and it will for some things but not others. I had cracking chillies 3 years ago and only now is it looking like I might have another good crop! Cucumbers, I had four plants and lost one before planting out. Two went in the greenhouse and one on the plot strung up beside the tomatoes. Of those three the outside one came to nought, one of the greenhouse ones is shrivelled but produced nearly two cucumbers. The third plant right beside it is a triffid and I'm giving away 4-5 cucumbers a week becaus eI can't use them all.
    I've struggled to get sweede away this year and can't get any late carrots started for love nor money. But yea, next year will be better.

Comment

It is a strange thing gardening. I couldn't comment on someone's post the other day about them struggling with courgettes because I just stick them in the ground and don't do a lot and they produce masses that I can't even give away, yet I can't grow a decent swede root for love nor money.

Comment

mcdood, that's an amazing crop for 22 seed potatoes. How many kilos do you think you got? I've seen King Edward seed potatoes in France, but they're very expensive (can't get them here). If they produce like that though (with all the usual caveats about soil and growing conditions, etc.), then maybe they're worth it.

Comment

Hi Snoop, I've no idea on Kilos tbh, I've filled 2 medium sized sacks (50x76cm) with the large/medium ones and I have a couple of smaller trays with the smaller and damaged ones. I've not grown king Edwards before and advice from others on the allotment site was that they are not worth it as 'yield is usually small as are individual tubers' but I thought I'd give it a go as baked spuds are my favourites. I don't know if you can get Desiree over there but I had a similar yield from them too and they are also tasty. I think it has generally been a good year for spuds in this area we've had plenty of rain. Not so good for my outdoor tomatoes

Comment

^Thanks. Yes, I can get Desiree locally. And relatively cheap too! I usually go for first and second earlies to avoid having loads of potatoes in storage, but might rethink that. Anyway, congratulations on your haul!

Comment

A good baking potato is the holy grail for me....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X