Pathetic courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
    Well I now give up as they have been in the soil, well fed with plenty of bees and butterflies in the garden and zilch. Nothing. Zero
    Insects are not reliable pollinators of courgettes and squashes. I would always recommend hand pollination if you are only growing a small number of plants.

Comment

My Butternut squash plants have at least now set a few fruit - seems unlikely that they'll get anywhere before the frost calls a halt to proceedings, but you never know I suppose ....

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
        My Butternut squash plants have at least now set a few fruit - seems unlikely that they'll get anywhere before the frost calls a halt to proceedings, but you never know I suppose ....
        How long ago did the pollinate? My Marina di Chioggia squash only set fruit 2-3 weeks ago, and the biggest is already about six inches across. Although admittedly they do cope with cool weather better than butternut do.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
          How long ago did the pollinate? My Marina di Chioggia squash only set fruit 2-3 weeks ago, and the biggest is already about six inches across. Although admittedly they do cope with cool weather better than butternut do.
          about 2 weeks ago I reckon - first frost round here generally the end of October, so they may be in with a shout
          Last edited by nickdub; 07-09-2019, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Marb have you grown courgette in a pot that size before,is there a better container variety for next year? You know the courgette planted in the ground,did you grow courgette in that area last year? Ive got a plant that’s really small & slow,is producing marble sized courgette but smaller than my other plants,I had a courgette plant very close to the spot last year,it’s like the areas had enough of courgette,I should’ve crop rotated but I didn’t know this would happen,you could grow extra plants next year there’s a climbing yellow courgette that would be space saving. Or were this years plants from an old packet of seeds maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
              Marb have you grown courgette in a pot that size before,is there a better container variety for next year? You know the courgette planted in the ground,did you grow courgette in that area last year? Ive got a plant that’s really small & slow,is producing marble sized courgette but smaller than my other plants,I had a courgette plant very close to the spot last year,it’s like the areas had enough of courgette,I should’ve crop rotated but I didn’t know this would happen,you could grow extra plants next year there’s a climbing yellow courgette that would be space saving. Or were this years plants from an old packet of seeds maybe?
              They are grown in the same spot but I have not the space that affords me the luxury of rotation. Seeds were last years I think. Again, not a pollenation issue as plenty of insects in my garden.

Comment

For the bed,you could dig a deepish trench when there’s no plants in there,fill with weeds,eggshell,veg waste & layer with a bit of mud to help it decompose,feed the soil,get the worms eating it all & leaving their worm castings in the bed,top it off with a layer of soil & sticks to keep cats off?

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                  They are grown in the same spot but I have not the space that affords me the luxury of rotation. Seeds were last years I think. Again, not a pollenation issue as plenty of insects in my garden.
                  That doesn't mean anything. Insects are bad at pollinating courgettes and squashes, especially small numbers of plants (the bee that does it in the wild is native only to the Americas), and if you rely on them when you only have a couple plants, you are likely to end up with a very small crop.
                  Next year, either hand pollinate, or buy a self-setting (parthenocopic) variety.

Comment

I don’t think it’s pollination,English insects are capable of pollinating courgettes & squash otherwise a lot of us would be struggling,the plants look really young like they’re only just beginning to flower but now it’s too late,the nights are colder,powdery mildew sets in,did you sow them quite late? Have you tried squirting the mildew with water & milk to slow it down?

Comment

My crop of courgettes are finally coming through!!!!!
                      I have had a few small ones over the past couple of weeks but they have just started to come through properly.
                      Frustrating thing is that we're going away for 2weeks soon

This is just rediculously late!
                      What a year
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                        Next year, either hand pollinate, or buy a self-setting (parthenocopic) variety.
                        I grow a few different varieties every year, but agree the parthenocarpic ones always set fruit, and they don't seem to get seedy, either. I always buy Parthenon (aka Partenon) it's an f1 so not the cheapest, but a packet will last a few years, if you only need to sow a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          My crop of courgettes are finally coming through!!!!!
                          I have had a few small ones over the past couple of weeks but they have just started to come through properly.
                          Frustrating thing is that we're going away for 2weeks soon

This is just rediculously late!
                          What a year
                          You'l be coming home to marrows
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                            You'l be coming home to marrows
                            Hope so!!!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X