No announcement yet.

GYO's editorial assistant with another growing question for you to answer

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm very fussy about texture and find that most veg don't freeze well so I have just about given up trying to freeze chunks of veg. I don't like chutneys, relishes or pickles either so there is no point in making them.

Potatoes are checked for damage and perfect ones are stored unwashed in thick brown paper bags in the garage. When they show signs of starting to sprout I mash and freeze them in single portions.

Onions are dried and strung in the garage (when they don't get white rot, which they have this year). Ones that I can't use straight away that are damaged or start to sprout are chopped and frozen - bear in mind that this makes the freezer stink of onion, so as I have more than one freezer the onions are not stored in the same one as fruit, bread, ice cream etc.

Chopped peppers retain their texture in the freezer well enough for use in sauces but the skins can go very tough so this is a last resort.

Tomatoes are cooked until soft and frozen in 500g butter tubs to make blocks of single portions of tomato ready for sauces etc. These take up about 1/3 of my total freezer space as I use tomato nearly every day.

Peas are frozen without blanching and are one of the few vegetables that I will tolerate from frozen.

Cauliflower is cut into chunks and dropped in boiling water for 1 second before drying and freezing - I haven't yet eaten any as this is the first year, so I only have a friend's assurance that this works well.

Spinach is cooked and frozen in small single portion pots and is just about edible like this. I add it to tomato dishes rather than eat it as a side vegetable.

Courgettes are revolting from frozen chunks (on their own or frozen in recipes), but make a good thickening agent for soups and sauces when pureed - I mix them with almost any combination of tomato, peppers, onions, spinach, carrots, leeks and kohlrabi, adding stock to make soups or freezing the puree to add to pasta dishes. (Adding cheese before eating greatly improves both.) I always have huge numbers of surplus courgettes which I give to friends and family, especially my sister in law who likes courgetti.

Beans are given away or composted as every attempt to freeze or salt them or make them into soup has ended up in the bin. The same applies to broccoli and cabbage.

Parsnips are nice mashed with potatoes and the mixture freezes well. If you like swedes you can do the same with them - I prefer them made into soups, particularly a combination of potato, carrot, leek and swede blended very smooth.

Raspberries, blueberries and currants are washed, dried and frozen fresh.

Strawberries are cut into chunks and cooked until soft with a little water (you could add sugar if you like) and frozen in small tubs to use with ice cream or add to fruit pies and crumbles. This is a good way of using up small, misshapen or damaged fruit.

Apples and rhubarb are cut into chunks and cooked until soft then frozen in butter tubs for pies and crumbles.

Anything else surplus that I can't give away goes into the compost bin.
    Last edited by Penellype; 11-08-2019, 07:41 AM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

The raspberries I didn't eat when picking got turned into raspberry vinegar.
      The strawberries I didn't eat when picking was turned into jam using honey, not sugar, and flavoured with thyme. It turned out a little runny, but is delicious.
      Soft herbs like parsley, basil, coriander, tarragon are picked washed and leaves are then stuffed into bags in the freezer. You then just need to slice off the amount you need for your recipe off of the lump and put the remainder back in the freezer. Easier to then chop too. I just keep topping the bag up over the season and have plenty all winter.
      Every year I make sweet pickle from my cukes and onions and a Tomato jam. Either are great in your cheese sandwich.
      My favourite tomatoes are slow roasted in olive oil, garlic, basil etc and then bagged up for individual portions for pasta in the freezer. These are also great as the basis of a tomato soup, or in a beef stew.
      Garlic is stored in a paper bag under the stairs... coolest place in the house. Lasts from harvest to about the end of march when I run out. I am planning on growing extra for next year, and may need 2 bags! (those that look like they won't keep are used or minced and frozen in ice-cube trays.)
      At least 10kg of tomatoes are turned into ketchup! This year I am also growing the rest of the ingredients, celery, fennel, chilli. If I am really pro-active I should be making apple cider vinegar this autumn for next years batch.
      V.P.
      The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

My kids love fruit leathers, so once the apples start appearing, we use whatever surpluses we have for those! They store really well!
        If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

I grow raspberries, plums and strawberries for jam. Onions, apples, potatoes and squashes are stored somewhere cool for the winter. I aim to eat in season so any surpluses are given away to family, friends and neighbours - and left outside the front gate with a sign saying "I'm free, Take me! There's nothing nicer than seeing a group of youngsters picking up apples to eat as they walk by.
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 14-08-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X