Different taste

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different taste

I have two tomato plants of the same variety (don't know what variety as I had used a wooden stick, lollipop, and all the writing has washed away) one is planted into a bed of compost and the other into a bed with a layer of compost followed by a 4inch layer of old cow manure then an other layer of compost and both planted either end of a 6ft. bed, watered and fed the same yet the difference in taste is quite noticeable as the one with the manure tastes sweeter, so what would you recommend feeding your plants to make them taste better
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

I know planting basil with tomatoes is supposed to make them taste "better" but taste is such a subjective thing. My husband has a different taste in tomatoes to me (I grow both our favourites) with basil as well, but that's just because I like homemade pesto.

Comment

Liquid feed for tomatoes is fine. Just making sure they have adequate nutrient levels in general, and potassium in particular, will make the fruit taste better.

Comment

That’s very interesting rary. Because our local estate was have Shepard problems last year (didn’t have one), I didn’t get my annual tractor trailer load of cow manure in the autumn. It’s been incredibly noticeable in this seasons growth of pretty much everything. Tomatoes included. Flavour I’ve not really noticed a difference but skins are tougher. Like you I’m feeding as normal.

Comment

Does one end of your 6' bed (pillow or foot end?) have more direct sun than the other?

Comment

SP, when my tom skins are tougher, it's generally because they need more watering. More muck is likely to make your soil more water retentive, but you could maybe try giving them extra water. Maybe water more often rather than more all at once?

Comment

We've got 2 Latah plants in the same size pots, same potting mix, grown right next to each other and given the same feed and water. One tastes much better than the other!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Does one end of your 6' bed (pillow or foot end?) have more direct sun than the other?
                I think they get the about same level of light VC though the sweeter one is next to the door so gets the light earlier

Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
                We've got 2 Latah plants in the same size pots, same potting mix, grown right next to each other and given the same feed and water. One tastes much better than the other!
                Interesting observation t.m.t.m.t so it's possible that each individual plant, though of the same variety might taste differently
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X