Please help chilli emergency

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done MBE for posting these photos.
    I know nothing about chilies but that tomato looks like its struggling.

Comment

MBE - you are a superstar!!!

I don't think there's a huge amount wrong with those chilies - I can't see much leaf drop? But those blowaways aren't great for plants. I've used them in the past for seeds and seedlings but in the afternoon sun they just burn plants. If you are leaving your plants in there with that size pot you need to water everyday.

One thing I have noticed is that your plants don't seem to be planted deep enough. I can see roots.

Comment

Having had another look this morning, I think they may have dried out as the pots are a bit small. Have you seen them wilting when you've gone to water them? Do the pots feel light when you pick them up?

I'd be tempted to get some bigger pots for them, with a decent quality compost like Jack's Magic, on which I have spent a flippin' fortune this year.
        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Aren't they supposed to dry out?

I think they may have dried out
          It's my first time growing chilli too, but from what I have read letting them dry out between watering is the right thing to do. I suppose it depends on using a compost that will re-wet successfully and not let the water run down to the bottom and make you think you have watered them.

(Again, no experience in the area so don't take anything here too seriously)
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
          ∃

Comment

I'd repot them into bigger pots with compost and perlite mix. Like Scarlet I'd plant them a little deeper and give them some support. Some look like they need staking. I'd up the feeding to weekly as well.

The letting them dry out theory is to stress the plants to make the chillies hotter when you harvest. I've never bothered 1, it's just mean 2, they're hot enough anyway.

Comment

In my opinion the chillis would benefit by being repotted a bit deeper in bigger pots.
              Last edited by Paulie; 07-07-2019, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I don't have any experience of growing chillies as I can't eat them, but I do grow peppers, which I believe are identical except for lacking the gene for making capsaicin, which makes the chillies hot.

The first thing that jumps out at me from your photos is that you have nothing under the pots. Either the pots have holes in and the water can run straight out, in which case your plants will probably be far too dry, or the pots have no drainage, in which case the plants will drown. Either scenario could result in the symptoms you describe.

I find that peppers don't need that much to drink, but they really appreciate a constantly available water supply. They grow very well with the aid of capillary matting and a water reservoir, either in the form of a "quadgrow" type pot with a wick, or sitting on wet capillary matting with a reservoir below. You can buy these things or make your own and fill up the reservoir when needed.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                  It's my first time growing chilli too, but from what I have read letting them dry out between watering is the right thing to do. I suppose it depends on using a compost that will re-wet successfully and not let the water run down to the bottom and make you think you have watered them.

I do grow mine a bit on the dry side but I don't let them dry out completely.
                  Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                  By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                  While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                  At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post

Letting them dry out as SP has said is supposed to make the chillies taste hotter. I would prefer to just grow a hotter variety...

These plants haven't got any chillies yet....a young plant need a good watering/feeding regime.
                    If you keep a young plant on the dry side it won't grow as well as it could. If you let the plant dry out while it has flowers they will most likely drop them. If you let it dry out too much it will lose its leaves.
                    I've never let a plant dry so much that it wilts. It stresses them and they often don't recover.

I have read the keep them dry method - I don't believe it works too well. My chillies get watered everyday in the GH in hot weather.

Comment

I’ve not seen any evidence of a proper side-by-side trial of plants left to dry out completely between watering and those kept moist. I think it’s a kind of urban myth. Someone says it, others repeat it and it becomes established “fact”. Having said that, they definitely don’t like soggy compost so you have to find a happy medium.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                        Having said that, they definitely don’t like soggy compost so you have to find a happy medium.
                        To be honest there's not many plants that do like a soggy bottom...I see some people growing plants in pots ( toms/flowers/ as well as chillies) with them sat in an inch of water as it's saves watering time. The roots rot.

Comment

did you try a thermometer in that GH those leaves look like they've been talking to alex fergusons hair dryer, pot size is a bit small but should be ok, the vivid green of the plants say they are mostly healthy, I let my soil go bone dry for 2 days regularly in the polytunnel, the only other thing I would say is the lighter soil looks like it is packed solid I would add perlite next time.

Comment

Don't you just love it when they don't come back and tell you what happened.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X