No announcement yet.

Weegie's veggies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks BiP - the cane support was easier to make than I thought. Also I made the diameter bigger (than the plastic one) which allows the top of the wigwam to be more open. I think next year I'll use home-made support rings for all my beans.

I've heard of eating radish pods - do you pickle them or cook them or what?

Comment

I eat the pods in salads, stir fries and also pickle them.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Well, I found some radish pods in a neglected local community garden, and helped myself to a few. You're quite right - they are delicious! I don't really want to pick any more, though, as they are not mine, but will try to find space for some next season. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Update: the combination of sun, warmth and rain with my new beds and bought-in municipal compost is giving amazing results.

This photo was taken on 7 June:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020057sm.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	2384911

This photo was taken just two months later, on 7 August:

Name:	P1020146sm.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	2384912

Some things are almost too successful - the courgettes are swamping the chard, which is swamping the carrots, which are also being swamped by the parsnips at the other end. Tomorrow I'll tie back the parsnips to allow a bit more light through.

The municipal compost is obviously very (too?) rich in nitrogen. The brassicas are bigger than I expected and I think the runner beans have too much leaf growth. Also I couldn't reach most of the tops to stop them and they are a bit tangled. It will be interesting to see how much of a crop they give. The first picking the other day was delicious - I hope to have enough to freeze but will have to wait and see.

Name:	P1020151sm.JPG
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	2384913

I'm particularly pleased with the leeks (Tornado).

Name:	P1020148xsm.JPG
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	2384914

I've tried for many years to grow them, both from seed and from bought plants, but have never got more than baby leeks. This time they are a proper size and we have already eaten a couple. They are earlier than I expected - I sowed them indoors at the beginning of March but will wait a bit longer next year.

So far, so good!

Comment

Wow, that looks amazing Weegie! I'm slowly learning to space my veggies out more. I used to think a foot was four inches if you look at how I planted my plants lol
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just come across the thread, great job Weegie
              Cheers

Danny

Comment

That's a lush and verdant jungle you've got there, Weegie. Looks fabulous.

Comment

Thanks, folks - I can still barely believe it myself!
                  Last edited by weegie; 22-08-2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Another update - the photos were taken a month after the previous ones, but I've only now got round to uploading them.

7th September

Name:	P1020181sm.JPG
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	2385328

Name:	P1020185sm.JPG
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	2385329

Most things have done really well. Over 100 courgettes, though they are coming to an end now that it is so much colder. The two plants are enormous, sprawling everywhere, and I've had to cut them back. We've also had regular pickings of chard, leeks and lettuce, and masses of runner beans, many of which I've frozen.

The carrots have been reasonable but quite damaged by carrot fly even though I sowed late and haven't grown them here for over 20 years - I'll know to put up a barrier if I try again. The parsnips may suffer too but will have to wait and see.

I lost a few of the leeks to leatherjackets - having finally identified the culprits I applied some nematodes so hope this will keep them at bay. The swedes have been disappointing in a way. Most of them didn't form proper roots in spite of plenty of leaf growth, and out of 10 plants I only got two big ones and two the size of a small grapefruit. OTOH I only wanted a few for winter soups so I've probably got enough. I'm planning to cut them into chunks and then freeze them.

The kale has grown massive. We still haven't eaten any as we prefer it as a winter veg, and it may be a bit tough now - only one way to find out! I sowed it mid May but will wait longer next year.

All in all we are delighted, as are our neighbours .

Comment

I have found most brassicas don't do so well in raised beds, small cabbages like the white summer ones like Primo are ok, but bigger ones and roots like swedes seem to need the firmer soil rather than the lighter compost.

Comment

You may well be right - the only other brassica I have is the kale, which doesn't seem to mind. I've also got some spring cabbage plants coming on as an experiment but I'll be happy if I get greens even if they don't heart up.

I have never grown swedes before. Here are the two best ones:

Name:	P1020187sm.JPG
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	2385332

The one in front is 6" / 15cm in diameter at its widest. The variety is Best of All (from Prremier Seeds Direct) described as 'medium sized'. I'l have enough for several soups .

Comment

Your swedes are vastly better than mine ever are. I'm lucky if I get one that's more than a couple of inches in diameter, but I don't use many so it doesn't matter.
                          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thanks - that's some consolation! I love your allotment thread.
                            Last edited by weegie; 18-09-2019, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X