Who has the Biggest Truss!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
    Has anyone ever had a new stem grow from the end of a truss?!? I just noticed it today on one of the trusses of my Chadwick Cherry. Most peculiar!
    yes got quite a few this year, almost every plant has at least one I think, also got one plant that's sending out roots up in the eaves of the greenhouse, weird!!
    Last edited by Urban; 04-07-2019, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Has anyone ever had a new stem grow from the end of a truss?!? I just noticed it today on one of the trusses of my Chadwick Cherry. Most peculiar!
      Gardeners delight does this quite often

Comment

I've a few this year - Black
        Icicle often does it too!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban View Post
          think I might have this one

bar a couple of ripe tomato's on a lower truss in the background, and a couple of plum tomato's on a plant next to it on the right, this is all one truss, approx 1 meter wide, gardeners delight, not sure how many tomato's but i'm guessing its triple figures

this truss set when we had that warmer weather earlier on in the year, toms are ripening at the top of truss, and just flowers at the bottom, it also got about 3 normal stems growing off the ends off the truss so i'll have to cut them off, I am going to be saving seeds of this plant I think

knocked a couple of toms off trying to separate the truss to take a picture , so I am not going to disturb it again

oops, pictures a bit big, what size is best for forum?
          Urban are you in the seed swap? If so I for one would be interested in growing a couple of plants from seed you've saved from this plant. It might be interesting to see if its a genetic modification, a freak or the way you grow tomatoes.

Comment

Urban did you use the maxi crop "original" formula by any chance? or was it the one for tomatoes. If its the original, then maybe good news for me when my trusses set as I have this formula for my tomatoes and veg this year.

Just the usual weekly feed of maxicrop seaweed feed until Tom's where on the first truss. And then a weekly feed of Tomorite since

It's hard to tell how big it is in the picture actually. It's one metre wide at the bottom of the truss. Makes me lol when I walk in the greenhouse. I'll put something in the frame for reference next time

A lot of my tomato plants have big trusses on this year. Only thing I'm doing different is using those hozelock grow bag water reservoir thingies. I wonder if there helping

Might try and keep this plant going through winter, if I keep the plant going from cuttings will it eventually get weaker or will it be just as strong next year?

Comment

My cherry tomatoes did this last year too, I can't remember the variety though

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
                Urban are you in the seed swap? If so I for one would be interested in growing a couple of plants from seed you've saved from this plant. It might be interesting to see if its a genetic modification, a freak or the way you grow tomatoes.
                I think it may be a combination of the plant, and those hoselock grow bag watering things I am using this year, I have read that tomato's get a bit ambitious when grown hydroponically, they have a constant supply of water, maybe its a bit similar

I didn't notice till today when I was tidying the bed next to the greenhouse, that that lower truss in the background that has a few ripe tomatoes, goes all the way to the floor, and some of the upper trusses are big as well

I think this one plant will probably supply me enough tomatoes on its own lol, never seen anything like it before

not sure how to get into the seed circle, but i'll definately be saving some seed

Comment

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
                  Urban did you use the maxi crop "original" formula by any chance? or was it the one for tomatoes. If its the original, then maybe good news for me when my trusses set as I have this formula for my tomatoes and veg this year.
                  I think its the original, big green container

Comment

Here you are, Urban, https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...9-a_98656.html

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Yeh I don't think I'll join the seed circle properly. But I'll send a few seeds to whoever is organising the Circle and maybe they can send a couple of seeds as a bonus to all the seed circle members. Don't need to send me any seeds back

Hopefully next year everyone has got mega trusses of cherry toms

Comment

Urban- I've grown hydroponic tomatoes in an 18l tub. I have limited soil experience having not had any land until my allotment but to share my experiences of "ambitious":

We chose Balconi because of limited space and because they were supposed to form nice small bushes that could sit on the coffee table in the window. What we got was a loooot of long stems- I have to admit I hardly pruned because again, I'm convinced it was supposed to be a determinate variety. Can't say we had a runaway success with amount of fruit provided but we certainly had ample, sprawling vegetation.

Comment

Originally posted by Zonmatron View Post
                          Urban- I've grown hydroponic tomatoes in an 18l tub. I have limited soil experience having not had any land until my allotment but to share my experiences of "ambitious":

We chose Balconi because of limited space and because they were supposed to form nice small bushes that could sit on the coffee table in the window. What we got was a loooot of long stems- I have to admit I hardly pruned because again, I'm convinced it was supposed to be a determinate variety. Can't say we had a runaway success with amount of fruit provided but we certainly had ample, sprawling vegetation.
                          Sounds as though you treated them too good. And they didn't feel the need to reproduce

Comment

Yeh I don't think I'll join the seed circle properly. But I'll send a few seeds to whoever is organising the Circle and maybe they can send a couple of seeds as a bonus to all the seed circle members. Don't need to send me any seeds back

Hopefully next year everyone has got mega trusses of cherry toms
                            Thank you!! I'll remind you when I'm chasing peeps for seeds.
                            Last edited by Scarlet; 06-07-2019, 10:04 PM. Reason: Grr....auto correct

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                              Sungold

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87757[/ATTACH]

oleron yellow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87758[/ATTACH]
                              thats a nice truss of sungold

Comment

When I bought these seeds I'd never heard of the variety, but along with the tradition started by my Dad, grow something new every year is our mantra. If this lot sets and having finally found a picture of them, they just might, we have a serious tomato over spill coming out way.
                                The variety...…….?(have a guess)
                                Might help if I add a picture eh...…………..doh
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02570.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	2384574

and yes that is one truss
                                Last edited by burnie; 14-07-2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X