Really pleased I bought

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really pleased I bought

So pleased that I have now got 2 water butts in the garden. One collects the rainwater from the greenhouse gutter and the other from the garage at the top of the garden. Seems such a no brainier to use rainwater instead of water from the hose if I can. Also handy being next to the greenhouse I just fill up my watering cans to water the tomatoes. Am guessing they will be full again after all that rain yesterday.
    Last edited by annie8; 30-06-2019, 10:15 AM.

I have 2 on my greenhouse and so far haven't had to top them up from the hose, I think the plants prefer rain water in the greenhouse.

Comment

I have just plumbed in a 1000 litre IBC container catching water from my shed roof and the inverted cone I have built over it. I agree that rainwater is much better for the plants (especially acid loving blueberries) but I also think plants don't like the chlorine or other chemicals that are added to tap water.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You can never have too many water butts or have a butt that's too big.
        I have 3 in tandem off the garage and 1 or 2 on every GH. That seems to be enough to keep me supplied although last summer was a bit close!

Comment

I have 4 butts linked up outside my polytunnel, with one positioned right at the back door, so I can just lift the lid and plunge my watering can in - saves so much time!
          He-Pep!

Comment

I have three 210 Ltr Butts on the 8x4 allotment shed, they are rarely completely full, we use this water for seeds and delicate plants and then top up with mains water via the provided dipping troughs.
            I have a 100Ltr slim line Butt on the garage and an old black dustbin I transfer into for maximum storage. This helps with the hanging baskets by the house. I have two 100Ltr slimline butts beside the greenhouse and another dustbin for further storage. Finally I have just taken delivery of a 300Ltr monster for the big shed. I need to install gutters and devise a stand here.
            In real terms we have to resort to mains water here in the south east because it's just so dry for long periods. I've taken the step of creating a 'desert/dry' border with palms and grasses in front of the 300 Ltr Butt so it looks good in a typical drought situation that we suffer most summers.

Comment

Where I am we get much more rain so I am hoping I can do most of my watering in the gh at least without needing to use the tap. One benefit i suppose ....
              Last edited by annie8; 03-07-2019, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Yes, let's look on the bright side, lots of rain (feels never ending tbh), so lots of water. Unfortunately it always seems to be windy, which dries everything out, so still lots of watering. Doh!
                Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X