No announcement yet.

Growing Basil with Tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SP runs off to google violet & Neapolitan basil. Never grow them.

Comment

i spy with my little eye something beginning with K veggiechicken.

Thats a deeply impressive setup. It puts my tiny greenhouse, and area the size of a rug for growing things to shame. It looks like a military operation because of the amount of time and effort it must take. And you've got all the growing kit too!!!

Hats off to you. Thats real gardening. Not the woooo, i've grown 30 chilli pods, that'll do me for the year kind of thing i do.

Comment

Whiteflies like basil & tomato plants have you got a couple of marigolds to deter them out the greenhouse? When I first grew basil I had it in pots with tomatoes & they were fine but they flower quicker & the weather hardens up the leaves outside,I don’t have a greenhouse so the leaves are more tender grown on a windowsill here but when grown with tomatoes it’s said to enhance the flavour of the tomato & a good companion.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffybunnyuk View Post
          i spy with my little eye something beginning with K veggiechicken.

Thats a deeply impressive setup. It puts my tiny greenhouse, and area the size of a rug for growing things to shame. It looks like a military operation because of the amount of time and effort it must take. And you've got all the growing kit too!!!

Hats off to you. Thats real gardening. Not the woooo, i've grown 30 chilli pods, that'll do me for the year kind of thing i do.
          Thanks Fluffy!! Actually, it takes no time at all - and the GH was a freebie. Paying for the ground to be levelled and slabbed was the painful bit.
          The floor is paving slabs and the "beds" are only a couple of inches deep. The edging is a cheap GH base, inside out - if you follow me!
          The pots are flower buckets with the bottoms removed, sitting on minimal compost. When the toms finish, I tip out the pots onto the "bed".
          Watering each pot, and pruning takes about 5 minutes each day. Its a doddle.

Comment

Another basil grower here. The smell combination when you pick fresh tomatoes and basil at the same time is amazing!!! Even if they both tasted rubbish I would grow them just for the smell!!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Thanks everyone for your advice.
              I've scattered 2 packets of Franchi basil seeds on the GH beds that the ring culture tomato pots rest on. I water into the pots and its runs through ito the surrounding soil so doesn't get too wet. Looks like this - makes more sense than my description!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87087[/ATTACH]

One GH has Violet basil, the other Neapolitan as a little trial to see which works better.
              It looks like the red watering cans are being mean and not talking to the green one!

Comment

Update

Growing basil with the tomatoes didn't work for me - none of the basil seeds germinated. Maybe I'll try fresh seeds next year.

Didn't have any whitefly though - unlike the previous year when there were clouds of them. Maybe a weather phenomenomenomenum?

Comment

My first Basil sowings failed late June I sprinkled seeds into buckets left them outside and forgot about them oddly they grew well I've taken cuttings and they're now growing on a bedroom windowsill.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X