No announcement yet.

Removing Tomato Leaves

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not trimming my outdoor plants and will only remove leaves as they yellow are get damaged etc. As I am growing indeterminate types I have left 1-2 armpits to grow 2-3 stems and the pinching out the rest. 3x the staking and tying up but hopefully twice the toms if I remember to feed more often than last year. New smart phone have programmed in a reminder to alarm and nag me to do it!

Glass house toms seem to have twice as much green and very bushy so am trying the cutting back the leaf stem to leave 4 leafs per, and have removed the lower set to actually be able to see and reach the stem for watering. Have also done the 2 stem trick on these as well.

Out door = salad toms/ cherries etc indoor= cooking toms/marzano etc
    V.P.
    The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Sunburn

Aha! Thanks for the link. This is exactly what happened to my ancho chilli peppers last year. What’s the answer to avoid this? Grow in greenhouse but in shaded area? Or with this year looking less sunny/warm than last year will it not be a problem?

Cheers

Comment

I've not seen it on chillies, just sweet peppers. You need to provide some shade to avoid it. Who knows what this summer will or will not bring.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman View Post
          Aha! Thanks for the link. This is exactly what happened to my ancho chilli peppers last year. What’s the answer to avoid this? Grow in greenhouse but in shaded area? Or with this year looking less sunny/warm than last year will it not be a problem?

Cheers
          I've only ever had it on tomatoes just once - that was last year.
          You can use GH shade paint, or use nets on the roof or even just draped over the plants.

Comment

I grow (well, tbh, it came with the house) a grapevine trained along the base of the roof on the sunniest side of the greenhouse, which has the advantages of (a) producing grapes, and (b) taking a while to grow up, thus meaning it's not a blocker until the sunniest and hottest part of the year.

Comment

Tbh ancho chillis looked and tasted more like sweet peppers than chillis so maybe behave the same. Maybe better to place them behind my tomato plants and use them to provide a little shade in the greenhouse this year..

Comment

^That's a good plan. I've done that before. It happens less on my long, tapering peppers (called 'Italians' here) and more on the box-shaped red ones.

Gman, what is your location? You can add it to your profile. It doesn't have to be very specific, just the general area. It makes it easier for people to give advice.

Comment

Dundee area snoop. So some sun, but not very much warmth. Surprised that there’s enough here to cause sunburn.

Comment

Toms

Then of course it let's more air move around

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X