How deep do you plant?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
    Seems I'm alone in planting mine at the depth they were in their pots!

So I'm going to give deep planting a go this year, but just wondered, what do all you deep planters do with the leaves that end up below soil level? Strip off before backfilling? Leave in the ground?
    I just pinch em off . atb Dal.

Comment

Deeeeep. Deepy deep deep.

Comment

Looks about right depth to me. Personally leggyness dictates depth to me. On similar note planted sweetcoen 3" deep as they were leggy and seem fine, they now have 1" stems at ground level and say 12" tall so lot more stocky looking than last year.
        Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 31-05-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

So I'm going to give deep planting a go this year, but just wondered, what do all you deep planters do with the leaves that end up below soil level? Strip off before backfilling? Leave in the ground?
          I pinch off the leaves
          sigpic

Comment

Pinch them off

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Also If you plant deep it can prevent 'blossom end rot' and cracked/split toms as those issues are mostly caused by fluctuating or uneven watering. I always believed 'blossom end rot' was caused by calcium deficiency but it seems the plants struggle to take calcium when water stressed.
              Deeper plants get more consistent access to ground water and therefore calcium,
              or thats my experience anyway.
              Sincerely
              Steve
              I live with autism spectrum disorder. Please be gentle. Sincerely Steve.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X