No announcement yet.

Chillies, Peppers, Tomatoes & Melon crazy 2019

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we have a Macabi Red Sweet Pepper that is doing really well.

I am tempted to harvest some of my Serrano chillies as well, but I am holding off so far...

Comment

Now this is where things get really interesting...

Here is my new hybrid form of chilli that I bred last season. This is by far the strongest of 4 specimens and growing really, really well. It is certainly showing the signs of hybrid vigour. Fingers crossed it lives up to the reputation of it's 'super hot' parentage...

And here is a mystery chilli that I found growing in one of my garden beds last month. I dug it up and put it in a pot, and since then it has really taken off. No idea what type it is, but it is super vigorous and growing really, really well.

I suspect there are some Padron genetics in there somewhere, given that a Padron was grown last year, close to where I found the seedling. I'm very excited to see what I get from this 'mystery' plant...

Comment

Hi Pepper man, new to the forum. I am interested in the appearance of Trinidad perfume plants.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago while mooching round a garden centre. I’d not heard of Trinidad perfume and it sounded good but looked really yellow. It’s been in the greenhouse for a couple of weeks and still looks like a wet lettuce leaf compared to the rest of my peppers and chillis. Is this usual for Trinidad perfume leaves? There’s a huge difference between that and everything else.

Cheers

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Perko View Post
          Hi Pepper man, new to the forum. I am interested in the appearance of Trinidad perfume plants.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago while mooching round a garden centre. I’d not heard of Trinidad perfume and it sounded good but looked really yellow. It’s been in the greenhouse for a couple of weeks and still looks like a wet lettuce leaf compared to the rest of my peppers and chillis. Is this usual for Trinidad perfume leaves? There’s a huge difference between that and everything else.

Cheers

Dan
          Hi there.

From my experience, Trinidad Perfume's are slow growers and take a while to properly get going, but they are well worth the wait and patience! Much like Habanero's, they seem to require quite a bit of consistent heat, therefore they may look a bit small and lethargic during the early stages, compared to other chilli plants.

This year, I have had some Trinidad perfume's struggle and they really don't look great. Pale as you describe, tatty leaves and a magnet for pests. I am beginning to think that some specimens may just naturally be inferior to others in this species, as I have some other TP's that are doing pretty well. Just make sure they get plenty of nitrogen and I prefer to give them a deep water every 3-4 days, when the soil is completely dry down to 1 inch. TP's seem to require less water than other chilli types.

I have attached images of two of my compact version Trinidad Perfume's, which are growing about as strongly as you could expect at this time of year. Do they resemble yours?

Either way, I would stick with your plant as it will hopefully kick on and start putting on good growth in the coming weeks.

Comment

Thanks for that.

The density and shape is spot on, similar to your two but slightly smaller and very yellow. The TP and a scotch bonnet I’ve got were similar in terms of colour and size but the scotch bonnet has grown a lot since the weather has warmed up and the leaves are now a much darker green.

Hopefully it will start to pick up as you say, I’m really looking forward to the TP peppers, they sound amazing.

Is there any way to attach photos from mobile phones on here or do you need to do it on a computer?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Perko View Post

Is there any way to attach photos from mobile phones on here or do you need to do it on a computer?

Cheers
              Info here for that
              https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...one_94345.html

Comment

I am absolutely furious! A pest of some kind has got inside my greenhouse and chewed through my largest pepper stem, about 3/4 of the way down. It has been snapped/severed completely. Devastated to have had this happen to my Yellow Monster that I have been so eager and excited to grow this season.

No idea what kind of pest we are talking about, as there were no visible slime trails and the door on the greenhouse was shut, so there was no way for anything to get in. I was thinking maybe it was a rodent, but there is no way a rodent could access the greenhouse, without the door being open. So I am left scratching my head.

What do you guys think? If this can happen with the door closed, I am pretty anxious and worried about my other stuff in the greenhouse...? I have put down even more slug pellets, just in case, but I am pretty sure it isn't slug/snail damage.

Everything else in the greenhouse is fine.

Comment

Stick it in water and root it.

Are those nettles beside it?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Stick it in water and root it.

Are those nettles beside it?
                    Hi, I will attempt to root it as you suggest. Shall I just sit the stem in a cup of water, for the time being?

And yeah, they are nettles. They have only popped up in the past few days as I haven't had a chance to weed the greenhouse over the past week. I will get rid of them tomorrow, if I have the chance to do a bit of weeding.

Comment

Any container of water will do but keep the lowest leaves out of the water (or remove them).

Comment

Any container of water will do but keep the lowest leaves out of the water (or remove them).
                        Done. Thanks for the advice.

Any idea what may have attacked my plant, severing it like that? I can't see how slugs or rodents would have been able to get in the greenhouse? It's quite baffling.

Comment

How is the frame attached to the ground? Could something have tunnelled under it?

Comment

How is the frame attached to the ground? Could something have tunnelled under it?
                            No signs of entry inside the greenhouse. The whole perimeter has been well sealed off, so I don't think anything could have got in. I'll have another close inspection tomorrow though.

Comment

I have no idea what can have caused the stem to snap like that, but just a word of warning that chillies are a bit tricky to take cuttings from. It absolutely can be done but they don't root as readily as other plants e.g. tomatoes.

Comment

I have my greenhouse sat on a concrete footing about 8inches wide. The borders are left as earth as I plant in them. I always get mice! They tunnel in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X