Is it too late to sow..............?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
    You’ve got me thinking. I am not using my beds efficiently all year. Some are empty from late summer til late spring the next year. So for the bed that has garlic which should be ready to harvest by July what could I put in that could be cleared by May?
    I sow spinach in August once the worst of the heat is over with (last year it was September) and it's cool enough for spinach. If it's too hot, it just goes to seed. It's quite cold tolerant too, and I was picking spinach until December.
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do we have any threads for....
      What you can sow now - January
      What you can sow now - February etc? Or can we have those please, and we can all add in what we sow, month by month, and review their successes as we go along?
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
        You’ve got me thinking. I am not using my beds efficiently all year. Some are empty from late summer til late spring the next year. So for the bed that has garlic which should be ready to harvest by July what could I put in that could be cleared by May?
        Lots of stuff can be raised in pots and then planted out when the ground is clear.
        Leeks, kale, sprouting broccoli, fast-cropping types of calabrese can all still be planted out in July. As can a late crop of pot-sown courgettes or climbing french beans.
        Dwarf french beans can still be sown direct in July, as can beetroot, radishes, daikon radishes, turnips, lettuce, early peas (although powdery mildew can be a real issue with late sowing), early carrots, spring onion, and all salad leaves.
        Last edited by ameno; 30-05-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I second the motion for What can you sow, month by month threads. Also, is it too late to sow PSB?

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
            Do we have any threads for....
            What you can sow now - January
            What you can sow now - February etc? Or can we have those please, and we can all add in what we sow, month by month, and review their successes as we go along?
            Several grapes have started these threads but run of steam after a few months as its a lot of hard work to cover everything. Here's one try https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ist_83423.html

Feel free to start your own version.

GYO magazine, any decent gardening book, RHS website etc will tell you what to sow each month but, dates have to be adapted according to where you live. There can't be "one date fits all" advice.

The "What I've sown today" thread is useful as a prompt.
            Last edited by veggiechicken; 02-06-2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X