No announcement yet.

Aminopyralid in Hay/Horse Manure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found the results of contamination on our plot today, it can only have come from hay in rabbit poo. A couple of lotty neighbours have it too, one from stable muck another from rabbit poo (different source to ours).
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Are you sure, Mr Bones? Seems like a long shot that three different sources of manure could be affected? Could it be that your (and your neighbours’) crops were affected by drift from someone nearby spraying their plot with weed killer?
      He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
        Are you sure, Mr Bones? Seems like a long shot that three different sources of manure could be affected? Could it be that your (and your neighbours’) crops were affected by drift from someone nearby spraying their plot with weed killer?
        Our neighbours with contamination aren't immediate neighbours, they're probably 300 yards plus in opposite directions. Their crops are in greenhouses and ours in a PT.
        Half of our PT was mulched with shop compost and the other half with home made. Only plants in the home made are affected, the other side is fine. So far it's only got toms and DFB's but I did find one affected chard plant in an outside bed.
        In the tunnel we originally planted four DFB's in a 1 foot square which unintentionally fell right on the dividing line of the two composts. Two are fine the others curled up with typical fern-like symptoms.

Just hoping the other 15 outside beds mulched with our own comp are OK.
        Last edited by Mr Bones; 02-06-2019, 07:02 AM. Reason: grammer..
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Mr B.
          Was it rabbit poo from your own rabbits - so you bought the hay from somewhere?
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 02-06-2019, 08:31 AM. Reason: Wrong "hear"

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Sorry to hear this, Mr B.
            Was it rabbit poo from your own rabbits - so you bought the hay from somewhere?
            The poo is from a chap who breeds for the show bench so the hay was most likely bought at market. I'll ask next time I see him if he always buys the same brand. Problem is this compost was made last year, we stopped adding to it at the beginning of December.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

A petition has been started to ban the use of Aminopyralid. I've signed.

https://www.change.org/p/dow-chemica...se_react=false

Comment

Thank you for sharing that, VC. I've signed it
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Me also
                  sigpic
                  1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

And also i

Comment

Also signed. It's funny how you may watch or read something and then it seems to appear everywhere, I just watched that Dowding video on herbicides in manure and hay last week. It put me off pillaging a local (free to take) horse manure pile as the last thing I want to do is poison the soil when I'm just starting out. I'll stick to the sawdust and chicken muck from my sister's I think!
                      There are no gardening mistakes, only learning curves

No matter how big the job or overwhelming the task, a good dose of sheer obstinacy and bloody-mindedness should see you through

Comment

Signed yesterday, wasn't sure I'd been added but it has.
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Signed, but too tight to chip in £3.00 for I know not what.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Petition signed

Comment

OK, signed it
                              sigpic

Comment

Another warning from the NFU about using rape straw.

https://www.nfuonline.com/cross-sect...ztwpi0d1xcqy5q

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X