Pruning Onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Miss Mousetrousers View Post
    I've read about topping and tailing onions but I use sets so guess it doesn't apply, but when transplanting leeks into a bigger pot I trim off the longer roots because it's easier to get them down the hole in the compost, so maybe that method would work with onion seedlings too.
    Yes, people do top and tail seedling for transplant but the items I saw were about established plants in the ground and cutting the flags in half once they were 8-12 inches long.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Is this why leek leaves are also trimmed(to provide more leaves, therefore bigger leek) and the roots are cut as they don't need as many??
      Question is. Why would you need bigger onions and leeks for the table?
      Feed the soil, not the plants.
      (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by fishpond View Post
        Is this why leek leaves are also trimmed(to provide more leaves, therefore bigger leek) and the roots are cut as they don't need as many??
        Question is. Why would you need bigger onions and leeks for the table?
        George Anderson on Beechgrove Garden said that at the nurseries they trimmed the leeks to make them easier to handle when planting.

Answer: Who wants small onions? How many onions do you want to peel to make one dish?

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

When I lived in Leicestershire our village was a bit of a hotbed for veg competitions, as I remember, tying the tops in a knot was to harden and mature the onion once it finished growing. I am familiar with Leeks being pruned as stated, but never heard of doing it to Onions, though they were a clandestine bunch of old codgers lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
            Did you do all the garlic or leave some to compare with?
            Unfortunately I did them all, as I thought it was standard. But they’ve grown back really quick! Thinking about it, rather than blindly following instructions as I did, I’m probably going to leave them. They need leaves to provide energy right? And regrowing leaves is using that energy. So long as they don’t start going to seed I’ll keep my snips in my pocket

Comment

Ducky, if they are hard neck garlic they'll send up a scape which is very tasty when harvested so that's nothing to worry about.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

The series “Rotten” on Netflix, episode 3, is about garlic. Apparently China produce 90% of the worlds garlic (I may have misremembered that). Anyway, the farmers were pulling the stems, but leaving the outer leaves, as apparently this makes the bulb larger...

Comment

Originally posted by mysteryduck View Post
                  The series “Rotten” on Netflix, episode 3, is about garlic. Apparently China produce 90% of the worlds garlic (I may have misremembered that). Anyway, the farmers were pulling the stems, but leaving the outer leaves, as apparently this makes the bulb larger...
                  Are you sure that they weren't pulling the scapes (flower stems) which is a standard practice?

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                    Are you sure that they weren't pulling the scapes (flower stems) which is a standard practice?
                    Hmm.. maybe.. I thought they said stems. But that might be the same thing..? New to me anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by mysteryduck View Post
                      Hmm.. maybe.. I thought they said stems. But that might be the same thing..? New to me anyway!
                      You can't remove the stem from garlic without removing all of the leaves with it, so they must have meant the flower stems.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X