What is your favourite perennial veg?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Could you grow the big perennials (like brassicas and leeks) in a bed and grow annual veg in pots?
    I didn't even think of that! I guess it seemed more natural to me to put one big thing in a pot and little things in rows in my square beds. But yes, that would certainly be possible. So long as the brassicas weren't big enough to block out the sun for the rest of my beds

Comment

Choose the bed that casts the least shadow - North east corner perhaps?

Comment

Forgot lovage. If you like celery then it'll put out loads of celery flavoured leaves. It's a big plant but for the space conscious there's also Scots Lovage, a smaller species that tastes the same.

If you like the flavour of aniseed/liquorice there's sweet cicely. Leaves are commonly used but the roots ate also edible with intense flavour.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by mysteryduck View Post
          Oh wow! That's a lot to process. I'm going to need to do some research! Thank you!!

And here's a link to Siberian Chives:
          https://www.pennardplants.com/proddetail.php?prod=Ed458

Also, a shame about the Bristol Onions, they really are pretty!
          Thank you.

Another big hole in my pocket.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

About chard....it comes in lots of pretty coloured stems too. Vulcan has a lovely red stem, rainbow is a selection of white, yellow, orange and red. Very decorative as well as edible.
            I've actually seen them used in flowerbeds on roundabouts for added colour!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

VC, alas its going to shadow something important no matter where it goes. My garden's only wee But I ordered two anyways. The plan is to put one in the ground and one in a pot and see what happens...

Jay-ell, thanks but celery / aniseed aren't for me. I did order myself some siberian chives though! (and have a couple of sources for potato onions and everlasting onions later in the year)

Nicos, I didn't realise chard was perennial! Maybe if I grow some in pots, I can shift them into the greenhouse in the winter...
              Last edited by mysteryduck; 01-05-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Chard and perpetual spinach are biennial and flower/bolt and set seed in their second year.
                If you cut off the seed heads you can keep them growing for a while longer or let them self seed (as I do).
                I think rainbow chard is beautiful enough to grow in the flower bed or front garden.
                Here's a self seeded one of mine in the GH that is about to be dug up and planted somewhere to go to seed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0475.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	2383361

Comment

Very pretty! Do you find them to be unattractive to birds / caterpillars? If so, they sound ideal for a patch in the front

Comment

In addition to perennial veg you could add a few annual veg and let some of them self seed to grow back next year. Orach, Chervil, Corriander, red acorn lettuce etc

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Oh wow! That's a lot to process. I'm going to need to do some research! Thank you!!

And here's a link to Siberian Chives:
                      https://www.pennardplants.com/proddetail.php?prod=Ed458

Also, a shame about the Bristol Onions, they really are pretty!
                      The Allium Nutans came today - along with the Vietnamese Coriander and Lemon Verbena. Nice and healthy looking plants.

The Chives have 2 stems at the moment - hopefully they will start splitting soon.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Very pretty! Do you find them to be unattractive to birds / caterpillars? If so, they sound ideal for a patch in the front
                        Don't remember any problems with pests.
                        The chickens love them!! I filled a bed with chard and asparagus kale and it kept growing back for a couple of years.
                        There was more than enough left for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                          The Allium Nutans came today - along with the Vietnamese Coriander and Lemon Verbena. Nice and healthy looking plants.

The Chives have 2 stems at the moment - hopefully they will start splitting soon.
                          Mine arrived today too! Two in a pot. I’m going to plant them out on the weekend. Maybe this year I’ll leave them to multiply? What kind of conditions would be best do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Don't remember any problems with pests.
                            The chickens love them!! I filled a bed with chard and asparagus kale and it kept growing back for a couple of years.
                            There was more than enough left for me.
                            Fabulous! If only I had space for chickens too My two perennial nine star arrived today. With the Siberian chives.. and three types of mint! This forum is a bad influence on me!

Quick question. Will the nine star need a lot of sun? Or is partial shade, near a wall ok? I’m quite new to brassicas!

Comment

We're a good influence - well, I am, not sure about the rest.
                              My 9 Stars are in a debris-netted tunnel so they don't get a lot of sun. They grow quite tall so you may want to think about staking if its windy,

Comment

Mmmmmm, I think mine is Broccoli with Rhubarb a close second.

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X