No announcement yet.

Tomato in GH yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MINe are going in tomorrow in the tunnel come what may, they are getting too big for the house. I will just have to keep fingers crossed and fleece at the ready.
    Last edited by roitelet; 25-04-2019, 07:17 PM.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

The latest run of the GFS has the temperature on the night of 3rd May down to 1C here hopefully it is being pessimistic as it is one of the colder runs, although by no means the only one.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Hoping I don’t regret this but leaving them in gh again tonight. Was sitting at 9.5 degrees when I just went out. Wrapped them in bubble wrap and fleece so hope they are ok.

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
          Some of mine are planted in the tomato/pepper bed and flower buds showing
          Should have added the tomato/peppper bed is in the greenhouse, and if I think that they need covered I just use fleece and if necessary I would double it, or layers of newspaper, as I am not too kean on using bubble wrap
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Planning to put my toms in the polytunnel on Saturday as we're in for a dullish weekend, so this will give them a few days before the sun comes back as it gets up to over 40 degrees in the poly, so they'll be gasping! Cukes have only just been sown and are about 3 inches high, so they'll go in at the end of May.
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Derbydal View Post
              Iv'e got all mine in the greenhouse, Bren didn't realise it was going get that cold ! if they make it through the night i'll light a candle say a prayer and stick a ceramic pot over it ! atb Dal.
              Last nights GH low was 4.8c hope your Toms were OK Dal.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Mine went down to 7.6 so just about ok with the bubble wrap and fleece. Was going to ask I had heard about having a candle burning to inc the temp slightly. Would that be an option?

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                  Mine went down to 7.6 so just about ok with the bubble wrap and fleece. Was going to ask I had heard about having a candle burning to inc the temp slightly. Would that be an option?
                  I wouldn't think a candle would be enough to make a difference, also obviously a fire hazard. Some big containers filled with hot water, and bubble wrap over the top would probably be the cheapest - along the lines of hot water bottles and a blanket.

Comment

Thanks will try that. My tomatoes are so pandered I would go down the electric blanket route if I could.

What are the signs that tomatoes are suffering from the cold overnight? Have been keeping a close eye and so far they look ok.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                      Thanks will try that. My tomatoes are so pandered I would go down the electric blanket route if I could.

What are the signs that tomatoes are suffering from the cold overnight? Have been keeping a close eye and so far they look ok.
                      If you get a frost outside and the plants are touching the glass/plastic then the leaves will go yellowy brown where the cold gets them. If its just a cold dip, say down to 5 or so, then it depends on the variety, sensitive ones will almost stop growing for a few days, and if you compare them to some which have been kept warmer they will look noticeably smaller. Known as "cold shock " usually if you want to Google some images.

Comment

Last year put toms in unheated greenhouse on 10th May. They promptly got a shock as Nickdub describes above but it was a result as were loaded with fruit when the conservatory ones were finished so made a long season. As such intend to do same this year
                        Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 26-04-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

So funny how we all pamper our babies😍. I'm not risking it with the stormy weather expected this weekend. May have to pot a few on though as definitely struggling.

Comment

Mine are still doing the in, out, hokey cokey routine - but it's getting a chore as the peppers have been potted on, and now the tomatoes also need potting on or planting out.
                            Trouble is there's a bit of a logjam in the greenhouse atm, other stuff needs planting out so the benches can be folded up before the toms can get planted.... Oh dear! I seem so far behind this year

I'm sure all the cutting flowers will be worth it eventually, but I never reckoned on how much room all the seedling trays would take up

Comment

We apparently had a low of 7, but the temperature under the mini-poly-in-greenhouse with a doubled base of bubble wrap only got to 10. Quite happy with that!

Comment

Ours are in the tunnel growing in ring culture pots on gravel - been there two weeks now and doing well!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X