No announcement yet.

Leeks - where did I go wrong?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never trimmed leeks tops or roots before or after planting as I could never see the point--never had a problem with growth from pencilish thickness baby leeks.
    They also seen to thrive in clay, but they do need some manure around the roots to give them a good start when planted.
    If you spread the manure on the surface, they will get some of it when you make the holes to drop the leeks into.
    I still use an old variety which serves me well.
    Feed the soil, not the plants.
    (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
    Bob

Comment

If I try leeks now it is mainly as a bit of fun. Or I have soil to fill and have a bit of a laugh with.

Other then the first year I tried I have never got a pencil thick leek yet, doubt if many reach the lead fill thickness. Last year they managed very little and the majority just gave up and composted themselves. The number I could count steadily decreased.

That begs the question "Why have I sown some more again this year?"
      Suppose a pack of seed at 60p and a pot is no great loss.

As they are members of the onion family and as I now just buy onions at a supermarket (less cost then onion sets at the end) the 2 aspects may be related.

Comment

If they don't grow big enough this year, heel them into somewhere else where you can leave them for next year. I've a couple of leeks from 2015 and a decent sized patch of 2016 sown leeks which is getting bigger all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIm1iPxYIe0 at around 3min 50
        Last edited by Jay-ell; 13-04-2019, 10:33 PM.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I've been leaving the leeks to self seed and am amazed at how many babies are appearing now, with no effort from me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X