Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor tomatoes suitable for the NW climate?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might give the umbrella a try too. Lost most of last year’s tomatoes to blight
    I also plan to try growing some hanging basket variety I got for xmas, if I can keep up with the watering!

Comment

I grew gardeners delight and some other kind of cherry that I can't remember now and have never had a problem (I'm also in Chorley!) Last year's weather helped...

Comment

I grow cherry toms against a south east facing wall of the house. They get a bit of shelter from the overhang of the eaves.
        I use grow bags.
        Most varieties, but Sungold are often the first to ripen, even before the GH.
        Location Preston Lancs.
        Jimmy
        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Am going to try growing a few outside this year instead of the greenhouse. Definitely the smaller ones like sungold and gardeners delight. Maybe red cherry.
          Last edited by annie8; 25-03-2019, 01:51 PM.

Comment

We've had a lot of success with Red Alert outside. Last year we got a bumper crop of Roma (but I'm putting that down to the glorious summer that even the NW got ) Also grow tumblers outside as a snack.

Gone mad this year and bought an "outdoor" collection. We shall see, next year might be back to the red alerts!

Comment

Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post
              We've had a lot of success with Red Alert outside. Last year we got a bumper crop of Roma (but I'm putting that down to the glorious summer that even the NW got ) Also grow tumblers outside as a snack.

Gone mad this year and bought an "outdoor" collection. We shall see, next year might be back to the red alerts!
              Hi CM,

What varieties have the seed company put in their "outdoor collection"
              sigpic

Comment

I tend to grow determinate cherry varieties outdoors (Garden Pearl, red robin, Koralik Red Cherry, Micro Tom,...) protected from the worst of the wind against a wall.

Comment

About a dozen years ago I successfully grew Red Alert in a pot outside here in Edinburgh. It was a great summer that year. Following year, usual rubbish summer, waste of time, no crop at all, so I never tried again.

Last summer I grew Red Alert, Gardener's Delight and Totem in a blow away and got a good crop with each, but again that was a fab summer. NB Wouldn't grow Totem again, as they were pretty tasteless; the other two were lovely.
                  Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1712D753-B83F-4C4E-B780-E5B39A1F4C72.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	2382880I’m thinking of growing some bush tomatoes under a giant cloche this year. SAN Marzano and totem. I put fairly fresh ( 6 months still with recognisable straw in it) cow Muck on the bed last autumn with some leafmulch and covered it. I’m hoping it won’t burn the tomatoes. Might try to grow some other varieties as lower bushes even though they are supposed to be cordons. Roma in my polytunnel were determined to grow as a Bush despite the seed packet saying to grow as a cordon so maybe I’ll try them under the cloche too.

Comment

Originally posted by muck lover View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]85873[/ATTACH]I’m thinking of growing some bush tomatoes under a giant cloche this year. SAN Marzano and totem. I put fairly fresh ( 6 months still with recognisable straw in it) cow Muck on the bed last autumn with some leafmulch and covered it. I’m hoping it won’t burn the tomatoes. Might try to grow some other varieties as lower bushes even though they are supposed to be cordons. Roma in my polytunnel were determined to grow as a Bush despite the seed packet saying to grow as a cordon so maybe I’ll try them under the cloche too.
                      Love your cloche, fantastic
                      sigpic

Comment

I’m really smug about that cloche. It was £4 in a boot sale.

Comment

I’m really smug about that cloche. It was £4 in a boot sale.
                          they fit your beds really well, was that accidental or did you design that into your bed sizing design?
                          Great price deal!
                          Last edited by MyWifesBrassicas; 31-03-2019, 10:48 PM. Reason: adding great price deal
                          sigpic

Comment

Roma in my polytunnel were determined to grow as a Bush despite the seed packet saying to grow as a cordon so maybe I’ll try them under the cloche too.
                            I have a feeling it depends upon where you've sourced your Roma seeds from. Mine are defined as "Compact Indeterminate" which seems to mean that they only grow to about 4ft and are better treated as determinate (bush) varieties (i.e. don't take off the sideshoots).
                            Last edited by MarkPelican; 01-04-2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Just been to Morrison's and bought six small Tigerella tomato plants ready to pot on. They were sold as an outdoor tomato but will be going into my ramshackle greenhouse once they are potted on and grown a bit bigger on a sunny windowsill. £2.00 was less than the cost of a packet of seeds and six Tigerella tom plants is enough for anyone.
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
                                they fit your beds really well, was that accidental or did you design that into your bed sizing design?
                                Great price deal!
                                Utter utter accident.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X