No announcement yet.

Mr H's Plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the encouragement. Went back to the plot yesterday to get a better idea of what we've inherited:

A small shed
    Two gooseberry bushes
    Three rows of very prickly raspberry canes.
    Two rhubarb plants
    A row of very sorry looking savoy cabbage
    A good size strawberry patch - all netted over
    A thornless blackberry
    A selection of PSB
    A nicely netted row of green cabbages

Two Daleks
    Two plastic chairs
    A water butt

Large pile of wood/posts/stakes
    Big collection of nets

a couple of as yet unidentified plants
    Last edited by Mr H; 11-03-2019, 04:05 PM.
    Leafy Hampshire
    2 Half Plots, learning every day.

Comment

Sounds like a good plot that's been cared for.

Comment

Yes it's been looked after quite well. About a third of it is under black plastic - unless last night's wind has blown them all away.

The worst is the perimeter fencing which needs some TLC before it all falls over.

According to the neighbours the worst pests are the deer that like to wander in. Followed by rabbits, voles, badgers.
        Last edited by Mr H; 11-03-2019, 04:37 PM.
        Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Sounds great. And good to be chatting to your neighbours too. They'll be glad to see the plot is in keen hands.

If you fix the perimeter fence, will that keep the big pests (at least) out?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            Sounds great. And good to be chatting to your neighbours too. They'll be glad to see the plot is in keen hands.

If you fix the perimeter fence, will that keep the big pests (at least) out?
            Yes that's the plan. Although the perimeter fence is only waist high so not sure that will keep the deer out. Some of the plots are fenced to about 7 feet high!

I will be putting some sort of walk in fruit cage around the gooseberries, raspberries and strawberries - although reckon I have a few weeks grace on that.
            Leafy Hampshire

Comment

First photos

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_132741.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	2382639
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_132719.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	2382640
              Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Looks good, at least you have got it early in the year and it has been well looked after which gives you half a chance to improve the fencing etc before anything gets eaten.

Comment

Oh my goodness, you are so lucky to have such a nice plot! Have fun with it!
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                    Oh my goodness, you are so lucky to have such a nice plot! Have fun with it!
                    Thank you Sarriss. I think I'm very lucky
                    Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by Mr H View Post
                      Yes that's the plan. Although the perimeter fence is only waist high so not sure that will keep the deer out. Some of the plots are fenced to about 7 feet high!

I will be putting some sort of walk in fruit cage around the gooseberries, raspberries and strawberries - although reckon I have a few weeks grace on that.
                      Plot looks great, Mr H. Waist high fencing will not keep deer out. We have a lot of deer near the stables, which is down a lane bounded by hedges about 4ft high. I have seen deer jump the hedges with ease - if you can imagine a horse and rider jumping a fence, taking 2 strides and jumping another, that's what the deer do to cross the lane!
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                        Plot looks great, Mr H. Waist high fencing will not keep deer out. We have a lot of deer near the stables, which is down a lane bounded by hedges about 4ft high. I have seen deer jump the hedges with ease - if you can imagine a horse and rider jumping a fence, taking 2 strides and jumping another, that's what the deer do to cross the lane!
                        I've seen deer jumping hedgerows around here so know exactly what you mean. The whole site actually has 8foot high deer fencing all round it, but methinks they just walk around to the gate and jump over that.
                        Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Late Post: Slipped into the plot one evening this week on the way home from work to check things over. We've had strong winds and rain all week so I was imagining my plot, darleks and shed spread over a 3 square mile area.

Worst fears nowhere near met. All looked good. But I really need to sort the perimeter fences out. One is almost at ankle level. One is in danger of kissing the fence of plot next door.

Job for the weekend
                          Last edited by Mr H; 16-03-2019, 07:51 PM.
                          Leafy Hampshire

Comment

What I did today:

Not much at the plot, the wind was blowing a gale but at least nothing was blowing away. Happily all secure. Two daleks still sat in one corner. Mr Robin was on guard duty and welcomed me in. Or maybe he was trying to see me off. One relationship that will develop no doubt.

Looks like I need a minimum of 6 new fence posts to secure the back and front fences. One side is recently rebuilt so it's the best of them all. The other side is a border with my neighbour. Mostly intact and will probably need a couple of replacement posts at some point but for the minute it's standing up.

You will no doubt be completely confused by the above. I'll try and explain better later. The plan is to take advantage of forecast sunshine tomorrow and repair the worst of it. Fortunately the previous tenant left a large collection of various wood and posts. Not sure that half aren't rotted through, but that's tomorrow's task.

Also today handed in my tenancy agreement to the Parish council. It's all quite relaxed it seems.

Then popped into our farm shop for some seeds. First - I was slightly shocked at the price of a packet. I haven't bought seeds for about 6 years. £1 is now closer to £3 it seems. Oh well.

Got a basket full that should start me off nicely. Was pleasantly surprised to find the remains of seed potatoes. Yes I know I'm late in the season. Managed to get a dozen Charlotte's for 50p and they are all already chitting. Placed them in an eggbox - a 12 egg one - out in the summer house to encourage them to grow further whilst I make some rows available for them.

Whilst there noticed some Asparagus crowns. Didn't buy them but cogitated over lunch and gave in. Went back this afternoon and bought the end of their stock. 9 Crowns for £9.

So plenty starting to happen and getting exciting. Will have to get going to prepare beds for the Charlottes and the Asparagus.

First job though is for tomorrow - sort through that big pile of wood and posts and find enough to repair the perimeter fences.
                            Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Bargain asparagus there! And cheaper seeds are available on fleabay

Sounds like you're really getting on with it! Now we just need some good weather
                              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                                Bargain asparagus there! And cheaper seeds are available on fleabay

Sounds like you're really getting on with it! Now we just need some good weather
                                I'm pleased with the asparagus and the Charlotte potato seeds. The rest I'm sure I could have got cheaper but it was convenient and will get me started. I'll list the seeds shortly.
                                Leafy Hampshire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X