No announcement yet.

Sowing all things Cucurbit - 2019

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My courgettes went out a couple of days ago covered with fleece. I'll be sowing a couple more in a couple of days to hopefully prolong the season. Not sure about doing any later sowings but I may think about it.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
      Courgettes don't need a longer season. If anything, sowing them early will only cause them to peter out early, whereas a late sowing will give you courgettes into early October.
      The main reason, though, is that the young plants grow fast and it is too cold to plant them out until at least mid-May. Nights under about 9 degrees will halt their growth, and they'll just sit there not doing anything until things warm up. So even though plants planted out early may survive, they won't really actually get a head start on ones planted later.

I usually sow my courgettes and squashes in late April, but last year my first and second sowings didn't germinate, so in the end I didn't sow until about this time in May. They still grew well and gave a good crop.
      Thanks that’s interesting. Think since I usually have two plants I might do an earlier sowing and a later one next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
        My courgettes went out a couple of days ago covered with fleece. I'll be sowing a couple more in a couple of days to hopefully prolong the season. Not sure about doing any later sowings but I may think about it.
        Me to, mine went in on the 20th and go under cloches at night, i've only got 5 plants so I'm sowing 3 more today.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
          Thanks that’s interesting. Think since I usually have two plants I might do an earlier sowing and a later one next year.
          Ah, that won't work unless you are growing a parthenocopic (self-setting) variety.
          Courgettes, squashes, etc. are self-sterile, and need pollen from a different plant in order to pollinate and set fruit. So at the beginning and end of the season, when you only have one plant, the flowers won't pollinate so you won't get any fruit.

Comment

Ah, that won't work unless you are growing a parthenocopic (self-setting) variety.
            Courgettes, squashes, etc. are self-sterile, and need pollen from a different plant in order to pollinate and set fruit. So at the beginning and end of the season, when you only have one plant, the flowers won't pollinate so you won't get any fruit.
            I don't think that's right, sorry - I have successfully pollinated courgette flowers with males from the same plant, when I want to save seeds from a certain variety.
            The individual flowers are either male or female so can't self pollinate - the pollen from the male must get into the female but as long as the plant is producing male and female flowers, and there are pollinating insects about, you will get fruit from one plant.
            Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 22-05-2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
              I don't think that's right, sorry - I have successfully pollinated courgette flowers with males from the same plant, when I want to save seeds from a certain variety.
              The individual flowers are either male or female so can't self pollinate - the pollen from the male must get into the female but as long as the plant is producing male and female flowers, and there are pollinating insects about, you will get fruit from one plant.
              Huh. I've never had any luck with pollinating with pollen from the same plant, and I swear I've read that most cucurbits are self-sterile, so you need a different plant (it can be the same variety, just a different plant).
              Maybe they're just partially self-fertile, and pollinate more reliably with pollen from a different plant but can be pollinated with pollen from the same plant?

Comment

Sown 14th January
                Planted out several weeks ago - no fleece, cloches or protection.
                Nearly ready to be picked.
                Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0602.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	2383702

Comment

Been very busy so behind with everything, but finally got my courgettes in the ground and cucumbers in greenhouse! Half term next week and I've taken the whole week of so might get squash in the ground soon....
                  Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Huh. I've never had any luck with pollinating with pollen from the same plant, and I swear I've read that most cucurbits are self-sterile, so you need a different plant (it can be the same variety, just a different plant).
                    Maybe they're just partially self-fertile, and pollinate more reliably with pollen from a different plant but can be pollinated with pollen from the same plant?
                    I have given away single courgettes to friends and they have managed to get a crop from them. Maybe as you say less reliable but think it is possible. For this year I have two anyway and both now flowering so should be ok

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                      The seed leaves shouldn't matter once true leaves start to develop, but the important thing is that there is a central bud to grow from. If that has shrivelled up you are in trouble.
                      Well, my horned melons have all but one died.
                      The ones that died were all on my bedroom windowsill. Some cucumber seedlings I had there earlier got sun scorched, too, but they survived. I guess the window is just too bright (it's south-east facing). I'll not put plants with soft leaves there again.
                      The one that survived was left in my conservatory (I didn't want to leave the others there before because it was getting rather cold at night still). It's doing quite well now, so that one should come along okay, at least.

Comment

• My 2 courgette Atena polka are looking a bit lanky in the cold frame. Is the general opinion that you should only transplant once to final place for these pls once well potbound? I can’t see roots peeping out of the bottom yet.
                        Also am growing cucumber spacemaster which I got cos its supposed to be smallish. What size pot would be best for it? I have 8” or 10’ pots I was hoping would work. To be stood direct on earth. Or I have those round ring things you can use for tomatoes? Would that be any good for it? Don’t want to stress it as it seems a bit temperamental and I only managed to get the one to germinate.
                        Thanks
                        Ssvy

Comment

• Had to get fresh Thelma Sanders seeds as the last batch were a dud (I have one very sickly looking plant from them) and while perusing real seeds, I spotted these Burgess buttercup and bought some to try and have down a couple- has anyone grown these? If so would you say they were more of a sweet or savoury kinda squash? I always love trying something new
                          Also had a surprise golden Hubbard sprout. I'm amazed as the seed is quite old and I wasn't expecting much when I planted them but its a really healthy looking plant too! I guess you don't know if you don't try!
                          There are no gardening mistakes, only learning curves

No matter how big the job or overwhelming the task, a good dose of sheer obstinacy and bloody-mindedness should see you through

Comment

• 2020 thread at https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...-a_100787.html

Please will a Mod close this thread. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X