Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eager potatoes

Hey,

Newbie spud question, but wondering if the attached potato is still good to use as a seed potato? None of the seed spuds I've used last two years have chits anywhere near this size, but almost all of mine this year are really long. I had to keep them in a different place which may have been too warm.

Should I just buy new ones? Or if these are ok, should I just leave some of that poking out when I plant them? They're quite long to completely cover.

Thanks,

Baps.
    Attached Files

I'd rub those ones off, and let them start chitting again. They usually look like that when they've been kept in the dark - have you got somewhere light and cool to put them?

Comment

It's funny how we're all different lol I'd personally leave them on, but dig them all down and get them well covered with soil.
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

and the other opinion is throw it away and buy proper seed potatoes. That will grow, but you might not get much from it.

Comment

I'd definitely use them. I'd spread them out in the light somewhere for a couple of weeks and they should green up ok. Like Sarriss, I'd try to get all the shoots under the ground and then earth them up particularly if frosts still likely.

Comment

IMO its way too early to be attempting to plant seed potatoes in the ground, pull those shoots off and stick em in a cool but light room or light area to chit properly. Next week its going to rain if you plant them and we have a wet spell and/or cold snap or frost or snow then they will be done for.
            The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy_Boots View Post
              IMO its way too early to be attempting to plant seed potatoes in the ground, pull those shoots off and stick em in a cool but light room or light area to chit properly. Next week its going to rain if you plant them and we have a wet spell and/or cold snap or frost or snow then they will be done for.
              last year the best and bigest potatoes I dug up where self setters volunteers from the previous year !and these had been in the soil in all weathers including the Beast From The East!
              so you pays your money and takes your pick! atb Dal.

Comment

Well that's interesting. I might do both; pull the chits off some and not others. Was going to give them a month in the greenhouse to chit before planting anyway. I'll see how many I have, might get one bag of seed potatoes just to be sure.

Thanks guys!

Baps.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X