No announcement yet.

Waste not want not.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, Im very good with only growing what I want need! I might allow a small leeway, but as i dont have much space for raising seeds I have to be strict. I do tend to grow a few more toms than I need, but as I grow some unusual varieties (ie yellow pear, black cherry), I can usually find homes for these.

Comment

I always grow extras. Am never confident enough that they will germinate or survive. Feels cruel to the plants to throw them away so I try to give away or I end up with far too many that I try to squeeze in the garden or greenhouse.

Comment

I can't bin baby plants either.
        Try to give some away, but the rest get planted out. I can always find some space.
        Thing is, some years are bad for certain crops and I end up chuffed with the 'extra' as it means there is less of a shortfall
        And if there is a glut, then it gets given away, put in preserving jars , or frozen.

I've finally realised that we tend to get a glut of at least a couple of things each year...amd a shortfall of others....so just end up changing my menu during the year!

Last year...too many potatoes (turned out no blight for a change and they cropped larger than usual per plant) also courgettes (as usual!)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

When potting onn I hoick the strongest out and re-plant, then I look at the other little ones and, er, um. Ok, I'm a big softie and I like to give the underdog a chance in life.
          I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

I am pretty strict these days, don't sow in large trays, only two of us so no need. I planted 15 mammoth onion seeds as that's all I wanted, a couple didn't germinate so I re sowed and of course the others have now sprouted after being potted on. Same with leeks all in large modules in MPC so I don't have to rush and no pricking out either. Chillies will be next in the propagator then the tommies with only a couple of spares. I plant one courgette and 4 cucumbers 6 butternut squash(rather a lot but we like them) A dozen Sweetcorn and the same of white cabbage, brussels, swede and winter cabbage. I grow my roots in blocks, a whole packets sprinkled over the area they need, quite close together and eat the thinnings as required. I am dedicating one bed to the trench celery experiment this year, so a bit less room, they are mammoth ones, so only planning on growing about 10 plants.
            Last edited by burnie; 23-02-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I find it very difficult to throw away something I’ve planted that is healthy. Two years ago I took some blackcurrent cuttings. Of course they all grew well. I ended up giving them away to various folks from work and in desperation to one poor lady I just got chatting to at the garden centre. We met up later for the handover and I snuck in some well rooted raspberry canes too. I suspect she thinks I’m nuts.

Comment

I know I’m growing too much, I’m far to excited about trying new varieties but sowing small quantities so that I don’t end up with too many seedlings that I know I don’t have the heart to compost!

Comment

I have a section of the allotment which is specifically set aside for the "spares"

Comment

I sow far more than I need, and I grow on all of the germinated plants, no matter how well they are doing. This, along with the sheer number of plants I want this year, I've had to take on another plot LOL
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                      I probably fall into the nutters category
                      I am trying to work out why the word probably, was used in that quote SP
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

My problem is if I just sow enough then some die and I am short. As my wife has a lot of friends that get plants it is easier to have to many and give extra.
                        Bob.

Comment

Really struggled today. Had a tray of “love in a mist” flowers but they germinated really well for a change for me. I always have low germination rates for some reason. I potted on about 60 or so seedlings. But I wasted about 60. It was heart breaking throwing them in the compost but I don’t have the space for the extra pots.

��

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X