No announcement yet.

What's Wonkey Veg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am always telling me kids about the days you went to a shop to buy veg with soil on still. You had to wash it before you could peel it. No uniformed shape, no plastic packaging, just honest veg. Our local greengrocer used to cook beetroot in store and wrap it in newspaper.
    Last edited by Greenleaves; 18-02-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

It's easy to blame supermarkets, but they follow the behaviours of the majority of the buying public. Most people, if they're choosing produce out of a large batch, will pick the best... the bits that are 'comparatively' not as good get left and go to waste.

It's like a form of natural selection... ;-)

You should see me picking over cherries. If I'm paying that much, they'd better be PERFECT.

Ever buy from a market stall where the pretty stuff is nicely arranged at the front, but they fill the bag from the back so when you get home you wonder why you've got so many small, bruised plums?

Until consumers actively select the forked carrot over the straight, easy-to-peel one, we're not going to change how supermarkets select and display their food.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
        I am always telling me kids about the days you went to a shop to buy veg with soil on still. You had to wash it before you could peel it. No uniformed shape, no plastic packaging, just honest veg. Our local greengrocer used to cook beetroot in store and wrap it in newspaper.
        The supermarkets sell carrots with sandy soil on them here...almost double the price of those without!
        Also cooked beetroot, peeled and expired to the air.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

1Bee...yes, deffo a difference in attitude.

When I first came here a French neighbour took me shopping and generally helped me find my way around. I used to pick things with the longest shelf life (still do) and she asked why I was doing that.
          " But if everyone did that then the shop would be left with out of date produce"
          Hmmm...that was food for thought!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

In the good old days fruit and veg didn't need sell by dates to tell you when they were past their best. Loose veg doesn't have dates stamped on their skin so why should the prepacked stuff............

and while I'm here, sorry 1Bee but watching customers picking over loose fruit like cherries, puts me off buying them completely. Bananas and oranges are different as you're never intended to eat the peel but cherries shouldn't be handled unnecessarily as they bruise.

Comment

Perhaps I phrased that badly - I didn't mean handling them all, just selecting them individually, rather than grabbing a handful. ;-)

Up here you can buy "dutty carrots" usually from old grocers and petrol stations.

Comment

Made some carrot and coriander soup this morning with 'wonky carrots' this was the only one in the entire bag I would remotely call 'wonky'!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2415.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	2382340
                sigpic

Comment

The programme I referred to earlier showed what happens when the farmer harvests the veg - they were looking at parsnips, but it would apply to anything. The roots were sorted and only those which conformed to strict size and shape criteria could go on to the supermarket. So "wonky" veg will include perfectly shaped roots that are simply too big or too small for the standard packets. Totally crazy.
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

What about wonkey men. My Wife doesn't share my concept that I am perfect in all respects.
                    Jimmy
                    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                      What about wonkey men. My Wife doesn't share my concept that I am perfect in all respects.
                      Jimmy
                      You're in dangerous waters there my friend, and on your own
                      No one in their right mind is going to argue with a wife

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                        Jimmy
                        Wives are never wrong, Jimmy.

Anyone who doesn't like flowers is seriously wonkey.

Comment

I must be wonkey then. Explains a lot!
                          Jimmy
                          Last edited by Jimmy; 18-02-2019, 07:14 PM.
                          Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X