Charles Dowding sowing timeline/calendar

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Dowding sowing timeline/calendar

I found this today, and I find it interesting that I've already sown a whole bunch of stuff 'too early', but I'm enjoying it, and everything seems happy, so I don't mind

https://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/sow...RNNN8NaOETPWEI
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

I'm beginning to like everything Charles Dowding
    sigpic

Comment

Reckon you could get a sowing of early carrots in late February to March.

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
        I found this today, and I find it interesting that I've already sown a whole bunch of stuff 'too early', but I'm enjoying it, and everything seems happy, so I don't mind

https://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/sow...RNNN8NaOETPWEI
        Already sown plenty in the GH and wifes summer house, none of which match his thinking...

And the Rocket 1st earlies are sown in the GH

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
          Also remember he grows in the SW, so his climate is warmer and he'll always start before gardeners further North.

Comment

Interesting that he is near me and he says his last frost date is mid May....( which is similar to what I've found) but lots of gardening prediction sites alway say a much earlier last frost date. Nothing tender goes outside until end of May for me.
            Starting to early can mean lots of pots in the GH and plants well over due to be planted out.

Comment

I'm intrigued by his dates. My seed packets for winter savoy say sow May, but he says the first week in July, which would suit me far better.

Comment

That sounds more like a plant date, than a sow date doesn't it? Perhaps he has found, because his early winter weather is comparatively mild, in comparison, that they carry on growing for weeks longer than they would grown in the North?..... Just wondering out loud

Comment

On his list for May he says to sow winter brassicas?

Comment

^Yes, but in July he says sow Savoy cabbage (in the first week under cover). I agree with Thelma, it looks to be more of a plant out than a sow date. I find it hard to get the dates of autumn and winter cabbage right. Too late and they don't develop, too early and they struggle in the summer heat.

Comment

Heres another one to try, you can enter your town and the veggies you want to grow and the dates are adjusted for that area. https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/cale...rsonalised.php. Don’t forget to click on the Optional Settings ‘button’ first to set your town and other options like sow only dates or all dates.
                      Last edited by Gordon the gardener; 13-02-2019, 08:57 PM.
                      I may be hungry but I sure ain’t weird

Comment

I've just looked at his list for February. I was only thinking I need to sow some sweet peppers tomorrow and there on his list are aubergines, peppers and chillis so I'll sow the other 2 as well. Tomatoes in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Riga View Post
                          I've just looked at his list for February. I was only thinking I need to sow some sweet peppers tomorrow and there on his list are aubergines, peppers and chillis so I'll sow the other 2 as well. Tomatoes in a couple of weeks.
                          I did mine on Friday, as well

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X