Cutting large seed potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr H View Post
    I'd love to grow Charlotte potatoes - we eat so many of them, but I've never grown a potato before.

Where do you all normally buy from? - guess I can't by a pack from the supermarket and just plant them.
    I used to buy mine from BnQ or Homeb@se !
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
      I cut mine in half or thirds every year unless they're really small. As long as they have a chit on them, they should grow. Just need a cool, dry place to let them dry. I use egg boxes (or preferably the large trays you get in bulk catering boxes!) so the air can get around them.

Mr H - just google "seed potato" and take your pick. Loads of online stores to choose from and you can't really go wrong.
      Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      I used to buy mine from BnQ or Homeb@se !
      Thanks for the advice all. So next question: Do you cut them up before they chit or do you cut them only when you are about to plant them. Not that I'm expecting to cut up Charlottes, they're pretty small to begin with.
      Leafy Hampshire
      2 Half Plots, learning every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr H View Post
        Thanks for the advice all. So next question: Do you cut them up before they chit or do you cut them only when you are about to plant them. Not that I'm expecting to cut up Charlottes, they're pretty small to begin with.
        You don't need to cut them at all. But if you have a big spud with chits at both ends i would cut it in half to double the number of plants. Cut them once the chits have formed but a good few days before you plant them. The cut needs to "heal" and scab over so it is dry to the touch or it is likely to rot when planted.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X