Announcement

Collapse

ANNOUNCEMENT - THE GROW SHOW

New to gardening? Or seasoned grower? No matter if you?re a regular Monty Don or have just picked up your first spade, we?ve got a treat for you: The Grow Show is buzzing with even more veg-growing tips and tricks, free downloads and clever buys ? plus great ideas for gardening with kids, encouraging wildlife and caring for houseplants. Click here to start exploring!
See more
See less

Containers for planting potatoes?

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Containers for planting potatoes?

    Hey folks,

    Apologies, I think this has been asked before because I remember reading about it last year. There's a lot of threads about spuds though and can't find anything.

    Does anyone have any recommendations for containers for growing potatoes? Did grow some spuds in pots this year (last year?) but it was just a trial really with 20 or 25cm pots. Not sure those were big enough with 2 spuds each.

    Larger pots would be pretty expensive, so wondering if anyone knows any large tubs or other storage that would be suitable for a decent price? Or are bags like this any good? These again look quite small for 3 spuds.

    Be interested to hear what other people use when growing potatoes in containers.

    Thanks!

    Baps.

  • #2
    I grew tatties in an ikea bag that I mixed compost with soil after cutting holes in the bottom and around the sides, for drainage.
    That worked very well and I had a healthy crop from that. I put eight potatoes in one bag. They are large bags And a steal at around £1.50 each!
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      I grow my potatoes in recycling boxes 3 potatoes to a box, I've also grown them in flower bucket one to a bucket, its usually down to the watering well to get a good crop from containers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Take a look at Alans Allotment: SoilFixer SF60 Potatoes in Buckets Results I've grown in 60 litre buckets, B&Q £1 Buckets Tesco square Flower buckets and round Morrisons Buckets, I've tried the Marshalls potato pots and have some of their bags to trial this year.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
        Nutters Club Member

        Comment


        • #5
          I use these 30 litre buckets, which I find excellent https://www.yougarden.com/item-p-130...SABEgKaJPD_BwE (other suppliers may be available).

          I plant 2 or 3 seed potatoes per bucket and expect 1-3kg yield from each bucket, depending a bit on variety and location (some of mine are grown in the shade). I find they are easier to water than bags, where the foliage can squash the top of the bag allowing the water to run out rather than wet the compost. They are also much easier to harvest - just cut off the tops and tip the whole lot onto a sheet and pick out the potatoes.
          Last edited by Penellype; 11-01-2019, 08:20 PM.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
            I grew tatties in an ikea bag that I mixed compost with soil after cutting holes in the bottom and around the sides, for drainage.
            That worked very well and I had a healthy crop from that. I put eight potatoes in one bag. They are large bags And a steal at around £1.50 each!
            Yeah that would be an easy alternative. Are they strong enough?

            Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
            I grow my potatoes in recycling boxes 3 potatoes to a box, I've also grown them in flower bucket one to a bucket, its usually down to the watering well to get a good crop from containers.
            The recycling boxes we have here are more the size I was thinking. Can't find any boxes that size though that aren't transparent or too expensive for a tub.

            Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
            Take a look at Alans Allotment: SoilFixer SF60 Potatoes in Buckets Results I've grown in 60 litre buckets, B&Q £1 Buckets Tesco square Flower buckets and round Morrisons Buckets, I've tried the Marshalls potato pots and have some of their bags to trial this year.
            That's interesting, I'll have to read up on fertilising spuds. I've only used compost so far. Have seen coir but didn't know what it was (I'm a noobie).

            Originally posted by Penellype View Post
            I use these 30 litre buckets, which I find excellent https://www.yougarden.com/item-p-130...SABEgKaJPD_BwE (other suppliers may be available).

            I plant 2 or 3 seed potatoes per bucket and expect 1-3kg yield from each bucket, depending a bit on variety and location (some of mine are grown in the shade). I find they are easier to water than bags, where the foliage can squash the top of the bag allowing the water to run out rather than wet the compost. They are also much easier to harvest - just cut off the tops and tip the whole lot onto a sheet and pick out the potatoes.
            That's about the size I tried this year. Potatoes were tiny, both Maris Piper and Charlotte I think. Could have been not enough watering or position though. Same spuds in the ground were good size good crop.

            Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

            Baps.

            Comment


            • #7
              Spuds in containers were bad this year compared to usual, as you say, was the dry weather. The big grow bags usually work well, and keep the slugs off.
              He-Pep!

              Comment


              • #8
                I've used rubble sacks and compost bags, just roll the top down so it forms a lip to keep it open and stab a few holes for drainage.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You do need to give potatoes in containers plenty of water, and also some feed, otherwise they will be small. I had some decent crops from my buckets last year, but I did water them religiously every day.
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I grew mine in pots on top of some soil that was heaped up around the bottom of the pot

                    two spuds in each one which yielded about 2.5kg per pot

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The best crops are usually from the ones where the roots have grown through the bottoms of the buckets. I also slightly bury the buckets and some were part buried in a pile of fresh horse muck, which may have contributed to the yield.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yield from our 50 L pots this year was rubbish. I think as well as drying out quickly, the growing medium in black pots gets too hot and negatively affects tuber set. Perhaps partially burying the pots also helps regulate the temperature?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
                          I've used rubble sacks and compost bags, just roll the top down so it forms a lip to keep it open and stab a few holes for drainage.
                          I kept some compost bags this year for that reason. Was concerned that type of plastic might make the soil sweat or something. Maybe buckets the same?

                          Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
                          Yield from our 50 L pots this year was rubbish. I think as well as drying out quickly, the growing medium in black pots gets too hot and negatively affects tuber set. Perhaps partially burying the pots also helps regulate the temperature?
                          That's helpful, cause mine were just sitting on concrete this year.

                          Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                          The best crops are usually from the ones where the roots have grown through the bottoms of the buckets. I also slightly bury the buckets and some were part buried in a pile of fresh horse muck, which may have contributed to the yield.
                          Sounds like that is a plan. How deep we talking?

                          Thanks,

                          Baps.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I found today that raised beds on top of carpet and about 4 inches of soil is not conducive to get large spuds. The previous allotment holder thought it a good idea, and whilst the potatoes I found in a tiny bed today were healthy, they were teeny tiny. I have saved them and will chuck them into a bed to see if they will do better
                            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by baps View Post

                              Sounds like that is a plan. How deep we talking?

                              Thanks,

                              Baps.
                              At the allotment I put 8 buckets on bare soil within a 2m x 3ft raised bed edge and covered the area between the buckets with about 4 inches of fresh horse manure. The whole bed was covered with a plastic cover until May. The idea was to provide a little heat at first and then nutrients for the plants later on as well as mulching the soil. Seemed to work well - the buckets were in almost full sun and yields were:
                              Desiree 1 bucket 3.8kg, Nicola 3 buckets 3.65kg, 3.25kg, 2.65kg, Sarpo Axona 4 buckets 3.21kg, 2.4kg, 2.35kg, 1.85kg (+ 2 large potatoes that were damaged and rotting). Some of the Sarpo were very big and hollow in the middle (hollow heart) which is a sign of uneven watering, but the Nicola and Desiree were fine.

                              At home in the shade I grew some buckets on soil and some on horse muck (both in raised beds), all buried about an inch, just to cover all the drainage holes really. These raised beds are against a north facing wall and very shady. Some of the buckets were harder to reach with water than others, and the results showed the difference. Yields were:
                              Desiree (all on soil) 1.9kg, 1.9kg, 1.15kg
                              Charlotte (on soil) 2.3kg, 1.55kg
                              Charlotte (on horse muck) 2.35kg, 1.7kg
                              Arran Pilot (on horse muck) planted in February just before the cold weather (!) and harvested in August & September (1st earlies !!!) 2.6kg, 1.15kg.

                              All the buckets at home were protected with plastic sheeting at first. 3 seed potatoes per bucket except one of the Arran Pilot (the 2.6kg one) and all the Sarpo Axona, all of which had 2.
                              Last edited by Penellype; 14-01-2019, 11:51 AM.
                              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Recent Blog Posts

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X