Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent a productive morning over the plots before the rain set in about 2. Completed the strawberry bed frames and did a bit of weeding.

Nice sunny skies in the morning but very cold

Comment

• Got loads done - planted two module trays of broad beans grown from saved seed, sowed peas “meteor”, planted garlic “Lautrec wight”, shallots “golden gourmet” and “red sun”, red onions “electric”.
      Cleared and tidied three big trug tubs of weeds and debris. Lifted the sweet potatoes - better than last year but I reckon I need a poly tunnel, these things are funsize.

Comment

• Sowed some amaranth seeds and gave everything a long, slow soak in anticipation of tomorrow's extreme heat. I will water again early tomorrow morning and rig up what shade I can. Beyond that, it's out of my control.

Comment

• Originally posted by lolie View Post
          Repotted the blueberry I bought last weekend. It was extremely dry despite daily watering so it's now sitting in a bucket of water for an hour or two.

Snipped the tops off the spring onion seedlings so they don't rot from touching the ground - a trick I learned on here (in a thread about growing leeks, I believe).

Put together a climbing frame for the climbing spinach.
          Climbing spinach.....?

Comment

• Dug up my garden rhubarb and split it. Replanted half, and took the other half to the allotment and planted it there.

Originally posted by emarisa28 View Post
            Climbing spinach.....?
            Malabar spinach, probably. A tender perennial vine (grown as an annual in this country), you eat the leaves like spinach.

There's also Caucasian spinach, which is a very hardy herbaceous perennial vine which can be eaten like spinach. It's grown and eaten widely in Scandinavia. It also actively prefers shade, and will sulk if grown in full sun.

Comment

• Evening...……...in an attempt to do something vaguely attached to gardening we went to a garden centre or two in the Banchory area. I am amazed how little is actually garden related in the places these days, wall to wall plastic conifers and glittery bits to hang on them, I managed to find a packet of Verbena seeds and Hyacinth bulb for SWMBO.

Comment

• Beans and tomatoes look like they're developing some kind of fungal disease. It's not surprising given the combination of heat and heavy watering, so I just gave them a spray with a sulphur based antifungal.

Sowed some butternut seeds in the pile of failed potato dirt - where of course one of the discarded potato plants has decided it's alive after all.

Sowed some verbena and lavender seeds as well as three types of basil seeds (not for me, I can't stand basil) and some more leek seeds because the first lot died.

I don't think the lawn's getting done today.

The tomato pulp I squeezed into dirt 8 days ago had babies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_20191113_111906.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	2385719

It will be interesting to see what the actual plants are like as it's an F1 variety.
                Last edited by lolie; 13-11-2019, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• Pulled out the outside lettuce, which had pretty much gone dormant.

Sowed various types of seeds to replace those which either hadn't germinated or had germinated but were struggling. Transplanted a couple of seedlings.

Comment

• Not much given the cold weather, but my sister hadn’t got round to buying me a belated birthday present and asked what I wanted, so small electric heated propagator it is!

Comment

• Made a start on mowing the grass out the front. It doesn't even look any better once it's done so it's a job I really hate.

Have stopped for now as it's starting to get hot outside. I will try to do more later.

Comment

• I cut down a forest of autumn raspberry canes. Aided and abetted by eight feathered friends who were seriously in the way. I have only seven chickens but the eighth was a little Robin.
                        I’ll have to shred the canes and use them as a mulch somewhere and then I’ll be mulching the raspberry beds at some stage. There was a bit of ground elder in the raspberry patches so I pulled some out but that plant is immortal so I’m not going to stress about it too much. Better tackle it with mulching.

Comment

• Hilled up the potatoes I planted most recently. Transplanted a white cherry tomato into a grow bag as it's in flower. It was my reserve seedling in case the other one didn't take off, but I might as well let it grow now.

Transplanted the remaining back up tomato seedlings into larger pots and transplanted some Swan River Daisy seedlings into a pot.

Drilled some holes in a large planter which will become home to a pomegranate tree when I get around to buying one.
                          Last edited by lolie; 16-11-2019, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• Planted my broad beans out

Picked the onions (something of a fail, none of them bulbed up, so i think i may have planted them to close together. And as I'd left them so long a lot were going off.

Fixed (well, bodged) a rotten bit of my shed.

Took in the netting that was over the onion bed.

Comment

• Started dismantling my old GH on the plot to make way for the new one. 2 hour fire to get rid of the wet pallet wood that it was mostly made of.
                              Bit of weeding as well.
                              sigpic
                              1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• I've dug up about 10 kilo of charlotte potatoes which I'm very happy about
                                Planting spring bulbs in pots

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X