Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sow a Seed a Day for a year - Challenge :)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pot of Meteor peas - its Fruits week, don't ya know .

Comment

A BIG pinch of Rocket in the GH.
      It should have been a flower seed as its Friday but Rocket jumped into my hand first.

Comment

National Tree Week starts today VC.

I am expecting you be sowing a different tree seed every day for the next 7 days.
        Last edited by mothhawk; 24-11-2018, 10:39 AM.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Challenge accepted, MH.

Of course, you'll be doing it too

Comment

Today's tree seeds are Areca triandra - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areca_triandra
            The Wild Areca palm.
            I'm starting with this one as the seeds need to be soaked for 24-48 hours and MH didn't give me much time to find some tree seeds.
            Bit a failure really, as I haven't "sown " them but they are soaking in readiness for sowing.

Comment

I've sown an acorn I picked up yesterday
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Today's seed in to soak is Malus toringoides - Cut-leaf crab apple.
                https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?Lat...us+Toringoides

Comment

Didn't have any tree seeds yesterday, so I sowed 4 cotoneaster berries. Hope that counts

Today sowed a red leafed acer - picked up at Bosworth Battlefield because the leaves turned such a brilliant red in autumn.
                  No idea what type of acer though.
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

It all counts, MH.

Yesterday, I sowed my Weekly batch of 5 seeds and put some Halesia Carolina seeds into soak. The seeds are huge!!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/293473...-Group/Details

Just hoping all these trees don't grow as I'll have no room to grow them all. May need to try Bonsai.

Comment

I'd like an ongoing progress report on that tree VC. It looks very pretty. Don't think it would do well up here ( thinking of my potential peat bog ). Very interested in how quick it grows.

Comment

Today's tree seeds in to soak are Bauhinia monandra - Pink orchid tree. Sounds beautiful The advice is "Ideally keep in a cool GH" - and it grows to 6m.
                        Bauhinia monandra - Useful Tropical Plants

Comment

I sowed a much more prosaic (and free!) three horse chestnuts yesterday, and today an arbutus unedo or strawberry tree. I saw the berry when I was out for a walk this morning. It was hanging over the wall of the quarry offices yard - it accidentally fell into my pocket

I looked online on how to sow it and there was a lot of guff about stratification and soaking and stuff. I cut the berry in half, shoved it in a pot and put it out in the rain. Job done.
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

As a gesture of solidarity, I am going to sow Arbutus unedo too - but mine are tiny seeds from a packet rather than a big berry from a tree.
                            They're going in to soak now.
                            The first 3 days of tree seeds have been potted now.

Comment

I'd never heard of this Arbutus unedo before. Are the fruits nice to eat?
                              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you can wait about 10 years, I may be able to tell you.

Today's seed is Sambucus Sachalinensis (Red berried Elder).
                                https://www.plant-world-seeds.com/st...seed_item/1187

Perhaps more of a shrub than a tree, again, ask me in 10 years time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X