No announcement yet.

Grow your own Mulch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horseradish produces a lot of foliage and is hard to kill!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
      No reason why you can't mulch with things that you have grown in your plot/garden. However, whatever you grow, you are not going to have enough of it unless you deplete the nutrients from one part of the garden to feed another, or add nutrients from outside. The simple reason for this is that you can't create nutrients out of nothing. Assuming that some of the vegetable matter is not being returned to the soil (ie you are eating it), you will need to replace it from elsewhere.
      You could return most of that to garden as well. Think of all the water you'd be saving on the flushes.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
        You could return most of that to garden as well. Think of all the water you'd be saving on the flushes.
        Err.....
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
          Err.....
          haha my reaction too... but come to think of it, our new plot is miles from the toilet at the allotment so I will have no choice but to come up with something up there lol
          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Be careful - untreated human sewage is a health hazard, and its very probably illegal to put it on the land. Urine is sterile and should be ok as long as you are not on medication that might harm the environment. Having said that... https://www.newscientist.com/article...er-foodchains/. The article refers to Australia but I would be pretty sure its the same in the UK.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

It's legal to use composted 'humanure' on your own garden soil, and consent is not required from the environment agency for a 'liquid only' toilet

More rules apply for public compost toilet waste disposal, though, which is why not many allotments have built them.

Comment

Yeah I was only thinking liquids - anything else would need the toilet haha

The biggest problem is that I'm a huge coffee drinker, and the result of that is that I need regular access to somewhere to relieve myself haha
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Having a Bump
                  I've been saving all the seeds from the Honey Boat squash that I grew last year. They may have crossed with something so there's no guarantee they'll grow as expected. However, they will grow lots of leaves and sprawl everywhere. My Plan of today is to sow these in any open space to act as ground cover and keep the weeds down, provide flashy flowers for the bees and, maybe, produce something edible.
                  Most of these open spaces will be under trees and totally unsuitable for "real" veggies and I expect these squash to struggle a bit - but I don't care as I only want them for their Mulch.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X