Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never a truer word said - BlueNW

Comment

^Yes. Wholeheartedly agree, Bluenowhere. Some friends of mine in the UK decided they were going to give a patch of grassland over to no dig. Had a massive delivery of muck and spread it out. Things started off well and their plants got off to a good start, but by the time the weeds got going, my friends became very disheartened and gave up.

Comment

Interesting read...whilst I dont dispute the no dig method has merits, I am a committed digger....two reason really

1 because thats how I was taught
        2 because I enjoy it

I may be old school, well perhaps just old

Comment

Its the same with Square foot gardening. People read the books/videos, seeing how productive it can be, so they section of their plot, draw up planting plans, put the seeds/plants in and are disappointed when it doesn't turn out like the photos.
          Its the same with Monty Don/GW programmes, show gardens, pictures on seed packets and in catalogues - there's usually a big difference between expectation and reality (thanks BlueNW). Sad but true and its no good people saying "that's the way soandso does it and it works for them" as there are too many variables involved.
          Best way is to try it and see and if it doesn't work, tweak it a bit next year.............and the next.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
            Interesting read...whilst I dont dispute the no dig method has merits, I am a committed digger....two reason really

1 because thats how I was taught
            2 because I enjoy it

I may be old school, well perhaps just old
            Yes I would agree with you on the very last sentence
            But there were three reasons for me to be a digger, like you that's how I was taught, and as I have said in the past I enjoyed digging, the reason I no longer dig is because of knee replacements, the third reason is while I was digging the garden OH managed to get all the housework done nowadays she thinks that I am not busy if I am not digging
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Yeah I agree with what all of you say, that some no dig videos and books come across a bit rose-tinted. I am well aware of how darn persistant weeds can be, and by the looks of things, I have a fair bit on my new plot. I wouldn't be too surprised if I'll be hoeing and digging out weeds for many years to come.

I've just been told by someone that used to manage the allotments here in North East Lincolnshire that the works department were crying out for allotments to take deliveries of leaves that they'd collected in the parks etc. I'm going to have a word with the site manager at my site to see if I can organise that, especially so since I have a plot at the very far end of the site where not many other plots are occupied, and there are quite a few massive piles of woodchip too. So organic material looks to not be much of an issue for me, as it turns out. It might be something you guys want to ask your local council to see if you can do too?
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I forgot to say, I do think my plot has large areas of compaction, or rather, erratic areas but much of it. There are lots of small wooden raised beds that clearly haven't had much in them, with hoops over them. That makes me think there's been lots of paths too, hence the compaction. I will have a proper gander when I go up there next, at the weekend. I've not got proper access yet and I'm itching to get started!

I'm leaning towards easing the soil where the weeds aren't too bad, dig up the worst of it, then cover it with lots of material, then cardboard (that may or may not be removed in the spring, depending on the state of it).

Most of the growing next year will be in the form of plugs that I've started off in my greenhouse at home, rather than sowing direct.

It's worth a try, right? I just can't face digging a whole allotment, and if it doesn't kill my enthusiasm off, it certainly will for my friend who has not grown much before.
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Took over a marestail infested plot in May and have dug it over twice to remove as many roots as possible. It is now covered in plenty of cardboard and straw but still waiting on a delivery of manure, going to go no dig on 1/2 and take a more traditional approach on the other.

Do enjoy diggin though...

Comment

This may surprise you - or not - but I've never dug a plot over - years before I'd heard of Charles Dowding and NoDig.

I've dug and forked out weeds and brambles and I've dug holes for planting trees but I've never completely cleared an area by digging it. Just seemed like waste of effort to me. I'd hoe it over then plant into the ground, whatever it was like. Still do.

Comment

VC, Im shocked, shocked I tell ya....
                      sigpic
                      1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

I'm shocked you're shocked, Bladders.

Comment

Originally posted by Logunner View Post
                          Took over a marestail infested plot in May and have dug it over twice to remove as many roots as possible. It is now covered in plenty of cardboard and straw but still waiting on a delivery of manure, going to go no dig on 1/2 and take a more traditional approach on the other.

Do enjoy diggin though...
                          Me too, and it gets me worms to go fishing with. Half a day graft on the plot and an afternoons leisurely fishing. Heaven.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I don't necessarily agree that no-dig is a newbie thing

.I have grown veg for over 40 years and done bed systems ,traditional, Potager and keyhole gardening to name but a few.

No-dig to me is a natural progression with good results, but I aint gunna be anal about it.
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Not sure whether you mean a "new thing" or a "newbie thing", Snadge. I don't think its a "new" thing but it tempts "newbies" because it sounds like its easy - no-dig = little effort = less weeds = fantastic veg.
                              But nothing is that simple or easy and the inexperienced, part time gardener will always struggle to have a plot that looks anything like CD's. Actually, the experienced, full time gardener will struggle too, but that's another story.

Comment

Still a beginner then ('...40 years...) I started over 60 years ago. My dad was a trencher in his new allotment. He dug a trench and put me in the bottom looking for weed roots, probably thistle and couch. Then he had me standing with a torch on bitter winter nights so the hens, all cosy and warm could eat a hot potato peel and 'layers mash' feed. And I'd be surprised if there are not gardeners on this site with even longer experience.

As for no dig, the way it is described needs a lot of imported stuff so not really sustainable. I've had a veg. plot next to the house going now for 35 years and the couple before us for a lot longer - one was born here and they were in their eighties when they moved out. I did buy a bag of growmore when I started (25kg. in them days) but forgot where I put it.
                                I have a two pile compost heap system, don't know where it all comes from but it does. I've been piling one side up this year and next year I will use the other side, that was piled up last year. So nothing leaves the plot except what we eat and it does get grass cuttings and weeds from the flower garden to make up for that. I do tend to dig not very deep if I can get away with it and I generally rake the compost over the surface and incorporate it a bit when sowing seeds or planting out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X