No announcement yet.

Pathetic Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All normal,mine always have flowers,just cut them off, and pull the rhubarb stalks themselves as usuall.
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Mine have flowered too. Don't worry, you haven't killed them..............yet

Comment

It's only doing what nature intended Marb, just don't let it......................
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've cut 3 flowers off my Glaskins so far this year. Any more and the ruddy thing's being composted!
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Those look just łike mine marb!...frustrating isn't?
            Funny weather...
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Wilting rhubarb

Well my victoria rhubarb seems to be wilting despite being watered acordingly and fed with chicken manure. The stems seem to wither and shrivel to nothing.

Again, why is something seemingly hardy so temperamental ?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170701_16_02_37_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2373408

Comment

It would be happier in the ground but if this is not possible then a larger deeper container would be better. Rhubarb has huge roots.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

It's a huge container, an old water tank. Surely that is big enough. No space for the ground.

Comment

I agree with Roitelet Marb. Rhubard does have very big roots and needs space to thrive.
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                      It's a huge container, an old water tank. Surely that is big enough. No space for the ground.
                      I must admit that I would use that tub for a "young" plant, for a mature plant I think at least twice that size would be about right, but I must admit I too learnt this the hard way..

Comment

I don't think you realise how big this container is. It's about 2 ft deep. I bet if I dug around the roots they won't have gone that far down.
                        Last edited by Marb67; 01-07-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Marb, I've merged 3 of your threads about rhubarb. I assume its the same plant that you refer to?
                          Putting them altogether like this helps us to understand the bigger picture. That this plant has been giving you concern for a while and this isn't a new phenomenon.
                          If it is a different plant, I'm happy to unmerge the threads again!

Comment

It's the same plant VC although moved to a larger container. Thanks.
                            Last edited by Marb67; 01-07-2017, 08:10 PM.

Comment

OK.....lets look at a few things Marb.....2' deep thats good, drainage holes in the bottom? Without drainage the rhubard will drown. The pot will need to hold at least 40ltrs of compost and be feed with well rotted manure, I dont think chicken pellets alone are enough as they have a very low potash value.

I am interested as to why is full of weeds and what looks like nettles by the crown?
                              Last edited by Greenleaves; 01-07-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Marb if you post the exact measurements of the tank I will tell its capacity I can see its about 22 inches long so it won't be 24 inches/2ft deep, though like you I would have thought it was big enough.

I don't grow rhubarb but I understand it is very hungry I would have thought tomorite would have been a better feed than chicken pellets
                                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X