No announcement yet.

VSR - Value for Space Rating

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One trick with peppers is to shock them into fruiting. When flowers start appearing stop watering. The plant things it's going to die and will reproduce with maximum effort. Two weeks later resume watering and all being well the mass of flowers become peppers early enough to completelt ripen before autumn sets in. Also nipping out the top early can cause more side shoots and fruiting heads to form.

On a similar theme to the main thread, there is a bloke in the USA with a youtube chanel called on yard revolution. He has a small yard and uses plastic hoop frames to extend his growing season to get a wealth of produce throughout the year.

Delivery is good and quite informative if limited to thier local climate. None the less very thought provoking.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Mc9xZKpSzc5u3T

Theres a lot of info over a few years to catch up on.

Comment

I would say french beans (both climbing and dwarf), courgettes and strawberries.
      Leafy veg bolts too soon or get eaten by slugs, and even if it grows well, you get a few salad bags. Don't get me wrong, I love salads but it doesn't have the weight and presence of kilos of courgettes

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
        Yes, pepper growing tips please!!! How do I get plants to produce copious peppers, rather than 0-2 per plant???
        Sow early (a week or 2 earlier than tomatoes), ideally plant out in a greenhouse in good compost. A variety that did very well for me was King of the North. I thought I still had some seeds for this year but when I wanted to sow them they wern't there so I bought what I could find locally and have been a bit disappointed. The King of the North grew lots of big green turning to red peppers like in the shops. I had to tie up the individual branches as they were snapping under the weight.

Comment

I try a similar method though not quite as exacting, I suggest growing something to the OH and if she says yuck, I either grow in a pot or I don't bother to grow it at all. I'm the last person home mainly so tea is cooked by the time I get there, it's pointless me growing something that everyone else won't eat.

This year I had in raised planters
          Carrots, Parsnips, Runner Beans, Borlotti Beans, Climbing French Beans, Sweetcorn, Peas, Early Pots, Leeks, Oriental Salad leaves, Courgette, Swede, Kale, Savoy Cabbage, Parsley, Spinach

In large pots I also had
          Early Potatoes
          Beetroot
          Mint, Bay, Thyme, Oregano, Basil
          Comfrey

In the Greenhouse
          Cucumbers & Cucamelons
          Tomatoes
          Pointed Peppers
          Chilli Peppers
          Spinach
          Basil
          Runner Beans
          Ginger

And dotted around the garden
          Apples x 3
          Blackcurrants x 3
          Plum x 2
          Raspberries 2 rows
          Rosemary, bay, Chervil, Chives and lots of edible flowers

I'm not scientific at all, it's mostly find a gap and shove something in there, though we've not bought veg from the supermarket since late June, and it'll probably be November before we start buying apples again. I'm not sure it saves me much money, as I still give loads away and swap stuff with neighbours like runner beans and courgettes for empty jam jars, and figs. I could be more switched on and eek out my produce but, I tend to live in the moment and eat what is in season. Oh to have more time to be more organised, pesky work.
          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X